Ch.19

Vedanti trembled with fear. Her breath got hitched in her throat. She started backing up against the wall. Infront of her stood a woman's translucent figure, clad in a white saree. Her 'pallu' veiled her face but she still took dangerous steps towards Vedanti.

"Deva..." Vedanti started praying. She backed up against the wall near the window and looked out. It had started to rain heavily. Mumbai monsoons are quite unpredictable. She looked back at the woman walking towards her.

"Sumedh...kahan ho tum???" She cursed. Her hands fumbled in her pocket searching for her phone. She found it and with shaking hands unlocked her phone. Meanwhile, the woman stopped advancing towards her and started growling. Vedanti's heart started racing. She quickly dialled Sumedh.

"Hello...?" Sumedh's voice boomed through the phone. "Veda...?"

The woman again started advancing towards Vedanti. She didn't realise that Sumedh had picked up the phone. She screeched loudly.

"Door raho mujhse...mera pehla baccha bhi mujhse chin liya gaya...iss baar mein apne bache ko kuch nahi hone dungi..." Vedanti warned.

Sumedh's heart stopped. He stared at his phone hoping he had misheard something.

"Shit." Sumedh cussed and quickly started his car. The engine roared to life. "Mujhe jald se jald ghar pohochna  hoga...Pata nahi woh aatma Veda ke sath kya kare..." Sumedh came under alot of pressure. He raced his car across the lonely streets of Mumbai.

As he drove, he called Nivi. A few rings later, Rohan picked up.

"Kaun bey?" Rohan's sleepy voice asked.

"Rohan! Mein hun! Sumedh! Meri baat dhyaan se suno...Ghar mein Veda akeli hai aur shayad aatma ghus gayi hai...mujhe pata nahi yeh kaise hua but hum sab ko jald se jald ghar pohochna hoga...mein abhi ghar hi jaa raha hun please sab ko inform karke bula lo...bye!" Before Rohan could say anything, Sumedh hung up. He was extremely worried about Veda. Months ago, they had lost their first child due to some paranormal activity around them. Veda had almost slipped into depression after that. He couldn't see history repeating itself again.

Meanwhile, in the Mudgalkar Mansion, the woman bent down. Vedanti's throat began drying up. Prayer flew like fleeting birds from her mouth. She didn't know what that woman was doing. Suddenly, the woman stood straight. What happened next sent Vedanti in a state of shock.

In a fraction of a second, there was a huge sound of thunder and a flash of lightning, the window flew open and the rain lashed inside the room. The winds blew the veil off the woman's face. Vedanti screamed loudly and fell down on her knees. The woman's eyes were so black that it seemed to be sucking in any source of light around it. Her face was a criss-cross of burnt marks and blood trickled down from each of her burns. All her wounds seemed so fresh. Her face was marred as if someone had burnt her. Her sickly white hair were so scanty because of most of her scalp was burnt.

Vedanti found it difficult to breath. She placed her hand on her chest and started taking deep breaths. She panted hard. Her breathing was becoming more and more laboured by each passing second.

She stood up with the support of the wall with a lot of difficulty. She looked out of the window and a ray of hope struck her.

Sumedh was banging the main house door. He ran back to his car and removed a long rod kind of thing.
He ran towards the main door and plunged the rod through the door.

                           ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Randhir came back after talking to Samridh. Devaki stared at him.

"Kya hua?" Randhir asked.

"Randhir...Samridh mujhe acha nahi lagta...aisa lag raha hai ki woh ek bahut galat aadmi hai...uspar bharosa nahi karna chahiye..." Devaki said.

Randhir sighed and sat down on the bed. He patted the spot next to him and signalled Devaki to come and sit next to him. She went and sat. Randhir cupped her face.

"Baby, this is politics...idhar koi bhi bharose layak nahi hai...beta apne baap ko bhi nahi chodhta aur tum Samridh jaise shrewd politician ki baat kar rahi ho...tumhe lagta hai mujhe nahi pata woh kaisa hai? Woh jitna seedha dikhta hai utna hai nahi yeh mein bahut pehle se jaanta hun...tum fikar mat karo...mein uski har baat par dhyaan de raha hun...mein usse kuch bhi galat karne nahi dunga...just chillax." Randhir assured her. Devaki looked down and nodded quietly. She wasn't convinced but decided to bring up this matter later. Randhir lifter her chin up and made her look into his eyes.

"Tum mujhpar bharosa karti ho na?" He whispered. Devaki's eyes sparked.

"Ofcourse. Mein apni zindagi tumhare bharose hi toh jii rahi hun...otherwise I would have given up long-" Devaki was cut off by Randhir who placed his  finger on her lips.

"Shhh..." He made her quiet. He gently leaned in and placed a light peck on her lips.

"Bas mujhpar bharosa rakho...mein kuch galat hone nahi dunga...I love you."

"I love you, too, baby..."

Sorry for the late and short update.