⇉ seventeen

seventeen - What Happens In Texas, Stays In Texas

    ‘’Hi,’’ Lucas greets Ryan Collins, the brunette that was approaching her group of friends that were surrounding the entrance to Mr. Matthews history classroom that next morning. She was holding onto her set of books for the class when walking down the steps, her luscious curls bouncing from behind her.

    She bursts out into a wide grin, chuckling softly. ‘’Hi.’’ She looks around, her brows furrowing for a split second before asking, ‘’What’s going on?’’

    Her smile dropped as she witnessed Lucas pursing his lips and shaking his head. He lets out a sigh and slaps his arms against his side. ‘’Nothing, Ryan.’’

    She gaped at the back of his head while he turned to walk into Mr. Matthews empty classroom. Ryan pushed herself past Maya and followed after him.

    ‘’Hey,’’ She calls, her voice stern and almost threatening. Ryan pretty much had the best trip of her life with the best people she could surround herself with, spite the drama that roamed. She wanted the group to feel the same but it was everything but that.

    Something was changing. It wasn’t the new perfume Ryan was wearing or the different hairstyle Riley has gotten used to. It was something raw, that could either make or break their friendships.

    And Ryan Collins wanted to avoid it as much as possible. Of course, when you try to run away from trouble, trouble makes a run for you.

    Ryan Collins entered the room fast and slung her bag on top of her desk but sat in Maya’s. ‘’Last and final time,’’ She then cocks a brow. ‘’What is going on?’’

    He threw his head back with wide eyes, ‘’What do you mean, what’s going on? Ryan, you were there!’’

    She leans over and jabs her pointer finger into the side of his head. ‘’I’m not in here, Lucas. I don’t know what goes on when it comes to Riley and Maya, or whatever it is that gives you the right to give me the cold shoulder.’’

    He tilts his head to the side. ‘’I haven’t done that.’’

    She arches her brows. ‘’Really? Because after you rode Tombstone the Bull, you’re real quick to be dismissive with me and- and what’s with these faces you always made?’’

    He propped an arm on the desk to pinch the bridge of his nose and sighs, one louder than the last. ‘’I was just stressed.’’

    ‘’Lucas,’’ She scoffs, a corner of her lips quirked into a sly smirk before falling flat. ‘’You didn’t hug me or tell me bye once we came back. You never called or texted me to meet up before school. You just give me an awkward hi only because I walked in on you doing it with Riley and Maya.’’

    ‘’I’m sorry.’’

    She shakes her head. ‘’No, sorry isn’t going to be enough on this one. I mean, for god sake, Lucas, you’re my best friend. I’m always here if you need to rant to anybody or just to figure things out with.’’

    He cocks a brow. ‘’Are you talking about Riley and Maya?’’

    She snickers. ‘’Duh.’’

    He shakes his head.

    ‘’But what’s the deal?’’ She gets serious again. ‘’Do you really, genuinely like them? Or do you like them because you don’t want to make one feel bad for liking the other?’’