⇉ nineteen

nineteen - Almost Is Never Enough

    ‘’Ryan!’’ Auggie cheers. Spite the baby diaper that matched the theme with the Happy New Year’s pageant being displayed diagonally across his bare torso, he still ran around Riley’s company who she invited over as a little get together and opened his arms out for a hug.

    ‘’Hi Auggie,’’ She grins, picking him up and allowing him to wrap his arms around her stomach and his arms around her neck. She hugs him back as she walks further into the Matthew’s household.

    Topanga Matthews, Cory Matthews and Riley Matthews stood by the stairs, smiling as she came over.

    ‘’The year couldn’t pass by any faster, huh?’’ She smirks.

    ‘’Hi, Ryan,’’ Topanga chuckles. She watched Ryan having a little struggle pulling Auggie off of her.

    ‘’Okay, hun,’’ She clears her throat. ‘’I gotta put you down now.’’

    He squeezes her closer. ‘’But I’m selfish. I haven’t seen you in five ever.’’

    ‘’Yeah,’’ A rebellious blonde came up from behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder. ‘’So am I, you know,’’ She shrugs. ‘’As one of her best friends.’’

‘’Fine,’’ He pouts. The strength he held around Ryan became lighter for her to pull him off. She gently sets him back on his two feet, but she remains her bent position as she spoke to him. ‘’I’ll tell you what? When the ball drops, you can stay right by side. That way you can have me all to yourself.’’

His posture straighten, grinning. ‘’You got yourself a deal.’’

Ryan leans back up giggling while he ran off, back upstairs to his room. He was most likely going to go and change his clothes. The brunette turns to her best friends and holds her arms out for a group hug.

‘’Ugh,’’ Maya groans. ‘’It really does seem like it’s been five ever since we seen you.’’

As the trio pulled away from the hug, Riley genuinely questions with arched brows, ‘’How was Massachusetts? Were they nice?’’

Ryan Collins had missed recent classes because her soon to be guardian, Jimmy Moore had planned another trip out of the country. Only this time, this plan was to see his family that had decided to move out of the city. He wanted Ryan to meet the people he grew up with given her original couldn’t provide that.

‘’It was so nice,’’ She spoke softly. The smile on her face showed that she was genuinely happy. Living under Jimmy’s care was almost as welcoming and comforting as it was being with her mother. Almost. But, she couldn’t be ever more grateful to have someone like him care for her. ‘’His whole family was so nice, and funny. They want to come out to New York to get to know me more.’’

‘’Sounds like you’re contempt, Ryan,’’ Mr. Matthews chimes in.

‘’I truly am, Mr. Matthews,’’ She smiles at him. ‘’I haven’t felt this good in a long time.’’

The doorbell hand rang, disrupting their conversation.

‘’I got it,’’ Riley announced as she dashed off. Ryan watched as Riley opened the door, revealing Farkle Minkus and Isadora Smackle wearing matching knitted sweaters. On both sweaters, it read, I’m with this genius, with arrows pointing at each other.

Farkle had took Smackle’s coat and hung her’s and his own on the coat rack while Smackle gave Riley one of her significant awkward hugs. But, they seemed to be improving the more she encounters with the group.