Chapter Twenty-Two

Dawn woke up the next morning, a little sore from all the dancing, but she was content. Ash and Serena barely talked last night, and everyone was looking at Dawn and her dress. He had been wrapped in Ash's arms the entire night, breathing in his mesmerizing scent. She knew that they were the star couple of the Ball, even though the Kalos Queen was there. Ash was incredibly attractive and very famous, and Dawn knew she was beautiful. She was no longer that awkward 12 year old that traveled with Ash everywhere, she was a gorgeous 20 year old, who had grown into her body and expanded her comfort zone.

Dawn looked over at the other girls who were sleeping. She hadn't heard Serena come in last night, and didn't remember seeing her in the room when she was first walking in, but she was laying in the bed with Bonnie. Dawn wondered if Serena and Ash actually did dance after she left, and really hoped they didn't. She'd have to find out. Quietly, Dawn dressed and walked downstairs to the lobby where a breakfast buffet was being served.

Gary was there, sitting alone at a table. Dawn remembered the other night, and she gulped. She didn't want to be alone with him right now, it was too confusing. Thankfully, Ash walked in a moment later, and Dawn sighed. She finished getting her breakfast and went to sit down, avoiding Gary's look. Ash joined them a few seconds later, sitting next to Dawn.

"Good morning." Dawn said, smiling.

"Morning." Ash murmured. Gary just nodded once at Dawn, his nose stuck in a coffee. Ash and Gary still weren't speaking. She wondered what else was said between them. It must be pretty serious if they're not speaking.

Eventually, the hall started to fill up, and their table became more crowded as their friends trickled in. Dawn watched Serena out of the corner of her eye. She wasn't showing any indication that they danced last night, and neither was Ash, so Dawn dropped the matter for now.

After breakfast, they all went to the battling ring inside to watch Clemont and Gary have a battle, just for fun. Ash was grinning the whole time, forgetting that he and Gary were fighting as he cheered for both of them. Dawn smiled. He couldn't ever really stay that angry at people, she had noticed that about him. Dawn wouldn't be surprised if Ash had dropped the matter of the explosion back in Cyllage. She also wouldn't be surprised if he had forgotten about what happened to Serena earlier.

"I'm surprised he's cheering for Gary also." Serena muttered. Korrina and Bonnie agreed.

"I'm not." Dawn said. "Ash can't really hold grudges, I've noticed that about him since I've traveled with him and since we started dating."

"Ash? Ash can hold a grudge like nobody's business. Are we talking about the same person here?" Serena replied. She raised an eyebrow. Arceus, Dawn didn't like her. She was so arrogant and annoying about Ash, pretending like she knew him so well. She traveled with him for like a summer, and that was 6 years ago. It's not like she had known him when they were kids.

"Obviously not, because the Ash you're describing isn't that Ash I know." Dawn shot back. "Ash gets angry, really angry, this is true, but after he calms down, he doesn't hold grudges."

"Honey, Ash is a very vengeful person. It's rather dark and depressing actually. It took me a couple battles to figure that out, but I figured it out nonetheless." Korrina replied. "The first time I beat him, he was upset, but when he finally beat me, I could tell he had been annoyed that I was beating him. He needed to prove himself, and he did."

"It comes from his childhood Dawn. He doesn't even know who his father is, only that his mother was sad and really really depressed when he left. I've seen him get angry when we were dealing with Team Flare 6 years ago. He also got extremely pissed off whenever Jessie and James managed to snatch Pikachu." Bonnie added. Dawn glanced at Ash, he wasn't hearing any of this, he was too busy cheering his friends on.