Chapter Thirty-Four

Ash blinked his eyes open, the bright lights giving him a headache. I hate hospitals. He thought. Ash was aware of a slight pressure on his stomach, causing him to look down. He smiled. The pressure was Serena, asleep on him. Her blonde hair was spilling over the white sheets that covered him, painting them golden. Her long eyelashes kissed her cheeks, and her perfect bow shaped lips were opened  ever so slightly. Ash started stroking her hair.

He noticed that Naomi was asleep in her chair, as well as Lucario in her own. He glanced at the wall clock, it was about 6:45 in the morning. He was always an early riser, ever since he almost missed out on his chance to get his first Pokémon all those years ago. Pikachu's ear twitched, becoming aware of his trainer's wakefulness. Ash smiled at the little Pokémon, scratching its ears. Pikachu vocalized its happiness with a small squeak.

Ash was starving, but he couldn't talk. Not that he didn't want to, but his throat hurt like hell. Not to mention, if Serena found out he had attempted speech he would've been worrying about more than just a couple cracked ribs and a swollen throat. There's a slight possibility that he wouldn't live to see the Kalos League. He didn't want to wake her, but he started nudging Lucario's consciousness.

Hey Lucario. He said. The fighting type didn't move. Lucario! The blue and white Pokémon opened her eyes and looked at her trainer.

Master? She asked.

Can you find a nurse, or get me food or something? I'm starving, and I don't want to wake either of them. I didn't really want to wake you either.

Of course. The aura Pokémon stood up and stretched.

You can take Pikachu too and get yourselves some food from the cafeteria also. And bring back some for my other Pokémon please.

Yes master, I'll be right back. Lucario started towards the door, then turned and rumbled at Pikachu, who nodded and jumped off the bed happily. Ash sighed and leaned against the cushions. This not talking thing would be a problem. How was he supposed to battle? He thought to himself, annoyed.

There was movement on his stomach, and he realized Serena was waking up. He saw her blue eyes blink open, catching the sunlight, turning them the color of the sky. She sat up with a small smile at Ash and yawned. He grabbed his pad of paper and his pen.

Good morning beautiful. He wrote. Serena smiled again.

"Morning Ash." She replied, leaning forward to peck him on the lips. She then looked around the room, her arched eyebrows drawing close together in confusion. "Where's Lucario and Pikachu?"

Getting me and my Pokémon food. I didn't want to wake you or Naomi. Ash wrote. Also I'm not allowed to talk, so I couldn't call a nurse.

"The call button is literally right there dummy." Serena said with a giggle, pointing out a red button on the bed railing. Ash looked at it, mildly surprised.

I didn't see that. He wrote.

"Obviously." Serena laughed again.

Shhh. He wrote, smiling. Serena rolled her eyes. Just then, Lucario returned with a plastic bowl of fruit and a couple cans of Pokémon food. Pikachu was holding plastic forks in his mouth. Ash grinned.

"You can't eat that, your throat is swollen Ash." She said, taking the bowl of fruit from Lucario. Ash looked upset. "Don't give me that look mister. If you hadn't gotten yourself almost choked to death, it would be a problem."

I'm sorry, you're blaming me? Ash wrote, one eyebrow raised. Serena giggled.

"Yup. You're supposed to be a lot better than that." Serena teased. She was studiously ignoring the fact that watching Tierno get his hands around Ash's threat was one of the scariest and most traumatizing experiences of her life. She thought teasing him about it a little would help.