Chapter Forty-Two

Serena woke up the next morning nervous. Dawn was really going to pull out all the stops to try and take her crown. Serena had to put on a dazzling performance in the final, because there was no doubt that Dawn would be in it. Kalos Now and all the big television stations were talking about the talented new Performer, and how she was going to give Serena a run for her money. There were blogs everywhere about Dawn, and even the minor stations were talking about her. Dawn had a serious reputation, and Serena was a little terrified.

A rough, callused hand rubbed her arm. Ash had woken up, and Serena sighed. She turned to look at him, and he was giving her the sweetest smile. His brown eyes were copper against honey and sage, and they glowed with affection. Whoever said Brown eyes were simple? She found it to be one of her most favorite colors. Serena felt the message Ash was portraying. He believed in her. Serena smiled back and closed her eyes contentedly. She would do it for him.

"How is it you always know how to make me feel better? Even without words?" Serena whispered into the dewey morning silence. Ash kissed her brow, almost as if he was saying I know you. It was a mark of how deeply they felt for each other, they could communicate without words. Pikachu had woken up as well, and crawled from his space between them to lick Serena's cheek. Serena laughed softly and scratched the mouse Pokémon, her worried having been shattered. She was radiating confidence, and she knew what she needed to do. Today, she needed to give the audience strength, just like she had figured out so many years ago, with Palermo's help.

She slowly got dressed in her newest Performance dress. Her taste had become more refined in the last couple of years, still cute but more elegant and grown up. She wasn't a kid anymore.

She walked into the bathroom and sighed, pulling the fabric over her head and letting the silky blue ombré dress settle over her body. She looked up at the mirror, and smiled.

Back in the main room, Ash looked towards the bathroom door, waiting for her to come out. She was still shy about her body, but that wasn't any problem for Ash. He was okay with it, as long as she wasn't uncomfortable.

The door opened and he caught his breath. His mouth dropped open slightly, and his eyes grew bigger. Serena was wearing a criss-crossed, strapless blue high to low dress. The color went from darker at the top to a lighter blue towards the bottom, and captured every color her eyes have ever been. Her honey-blonde hair was piled on her head in a pretty ponytail, with a braid in one side going into the ponytail and bangs framing her face. The delicate Kalos Queen tiara was balanced on the top of her head. She looked incredible.

You look amazing. Ash wrote quickly, showing her the paper. He wanted to talk to her badly, tell her how beautiful she looked, but he waited. He wanted it to be a surprise.

"Thank you. I'm ready." Serena said, smiling. While she was in the bathroom, Ash had changed it if his pajamas and was wearing his usual clothes; jeans with sneakers, a black shirt, and a blue short-sleeved jacket. On his head was his ever-present hat, keeping his unruly raven hair in check. Ash walked over to her and held out his arm with a cheeky grin, causing Serena to giggle, blush and take it, letting him lead her out. When they were traveling together before, she had been slightly taller than him, but now, even with heels, she was about 4 inches shorter than him. It was an interesting change in perspective.

They got to the grand foyer of the palace and saw all of their friends. Dawn looked gorgeous in her pink babydoll dress and elegant updo, and looked extremely confident.

"Serena, you look beautiful!" Naomi exclaimed, walking over and squeezing her friend. Ash was glowing, the girl next to him was all his, and Naomi could tell how incredibly proud and happy he was.