Chapter Twenty-Eight

Ash woke the next morning feeling, for the first time in 3 weeks, refreshed. He would be in his way to save Serena today. They'd finally be reunited. He left his room and went downstairs to the cafeteria, where most of his friends were up already. Ash didn't say much to them as he grabbed a croissant and walked towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Clemont called after him.

"I need to pick something up. I'll be back soon." Ash replied. Pikachu jumped off the table and ran over to his trainer, climbing up so he was on Ash's shoulder. The Pokémon rubbed his soft cheek against Ash and squeaked.

"Hey buddy." Ash murmured. He struck out for the jeweler's, getting an idea.

"I'm back." Ash called into the small shop as he pushed open the glass door. The old jeweler came out from a back room, a glint in his eyes. "Is it done?"

"Yes. And it's beautiful. One of the best rings I've made." The jeweler replied.

"Great." Ash said. "But I have a question."

"Yes my boy?"

"How long will it take to engrave?"

"A few minutes. I wish you would've told me that before I completed the ring though."

"I'm sorry, I only thought of it now. If you aren't able to do it, I understand." Ash replied.

"Nonsense, I can engrave it. It'll just be slightly harder, depending on where the engraving will go."

"Could you do it on the inside?"

"Of course. What shall I engrave?"

"Iron Tail Pikachu." Ash said with a small smile. The jeweler looked confused, but he didn't ask the boy to elaborate. He went to his workroom in the back, causing Ash to be alone in the front while he worked. Pikachu had jumped off of Ash's shoulder and was talking to the Skitty and the Delcatty that were in the corner of the shop. Ash decided to look around a little bit. A delicate gold chain caught his eye, which had a small heart pendant in the same gold. He walked over to it and lifted it off the display.

"Good choice." The jeweler said, coming out with a box in hand.

"How much?" Ash asked, glancing at him. He wasn't going to ask her just yet, he was waiting for the right time. But in the meantime, he could get her this. He loves buying presents for her.

"That's real gold, so it's about 250." The jeweler replied. "And the ring is going to be 5000."

"I'll take them both." Ash said. He pulled out his wallet. The jeweler nodded and walked over to his cash register. Ash handed him the necklace and he rang it all up, and Ash handed over the money. The jeweler was going to put them in a bag, but Ash stopped him.

"That ring I'm going to keep in my jacket pocket. The necklace too." The jeweler nodded and handed over his purchase, then counted the money.

"There's 5500 here." He said, stopping Ash.

"Keep the change." Ash muttered. "Arceus knows I have too much money."

"Thank you very much, this is very kind of you." The jeweler responded.

"I should be thanking you." Ash told him, his hand jumping to his chest where, on the inside of his jacket, the ring box rested.

"I'm glad I could help." Ash gave him a grateful smile, then walked out with his purchases. He pulled the ring box out, it was simple black velvet with gold trim and a gold clasp. Opening it, Ash stared in awe at the jeweler's work.