Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Houndoom and Aegislash I choose you!" Luca yelled, excited. The gang was watching the first gym battle of the day. Ash still found it strange to sit on the sidelines of a gym battle, but he didn't mind. Lyla would be next, and then it was Bonnie's turn afterwards.

"Meowstic, come out!" Olympia yelled, throwing her powerful duo out.

"Houndoom was a good choice. Dark is super effective to Psychic types." Clemont said, sitting back in his chair.

"Yeah, and Aegislash's King's Shield is good too, if it knows the move." Serena added. Ash glanced at her and smirked. He was remembering when he and Pikachu battled Sawyer's Aegislash in the Lumiose Conference from 6 years ago.

"This is definitely going to be an interesting battle." Korrina said with a satisfied smile.

"Battle Begin!" The referee called.

"Meowstic, Helping Hand and Future Sight!" Olympia commanded. The two Meowstic obliged, the male glowing yellow, the energy shifting towards the female, who opened her ears and shot out purple spheres crackling with energy into five swirls above Aegislash and Houndoom. Habitually, Pikachu's tail started waving back and forth like a metronome.

"Houndoom use Dark Pulse on the female, Aegislash use Shadow Ball on the male!" The double attack raced towards the Psychic duo, looking like the attacks would make contact. Except, both Meowstics' ears raised up, and they encapsulated themselves in a glowing blue light, shooting up into the air to dodge. Luca grimaced.

"Psyshock! Both of you!" Olympia yelled. A purple ball of energy erupted between the two Meowstic, and streams of that same purple light shot out towards Luca's Pokémon.

"Dodge it!" Luca commanded, his hand open and out in front of him, palm towards his Pokémon.

"Not gonna work." Clemont muttered.

"What do you mean?" Bonnie asked, looking towards her brother.

"Remember? The female's ability is Keen Eye." Clemont said.

"Oh yeah!" Bonnie exclaimed. "And the male's is Prankster. I remember Ash's battle with her!"

"Yeah." Serena said, watching the battle.

"I have to be careful of those." Bonnie said, focusing harder on the battle between Luca and Olympia.

Aegislash took off into the air, and Houndoom followed, jumping up and off to the side. The streams of light separated and took off in different directions, following Houndoom and Aegislash. Luca's eyes widened.

"What?" He exclaimed. The Meowstics' attack landed, raising up smoke as Aegislash and Houndoom plummeted to the ground. Both Pokémon got up right away, not looking too damaged, but still showing some fatigue.

"Shake it off! Use Flash Cannon and Flamethrower!" Luca yelled. Houndoom and Aegislash charged up their moves, just about to release them when Olympia smirked, Pikachu let out a series of squeaks, and three swirls opened up in the air, blasting purple balls of crackling energy towards Luca's Pokémon. The balls collided with them and exploded, raising smoke.

"Aegislash!" Luca exclaimed. The ghost sword looked beat up, while Houndoom looked unharmed.

"Houndoom looks fine." Bonnie said, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Psychic type moves have no effect on dark types." Clemont replied.

"Then how is Olympia supposed to damage Houndoom?" Dawn asked, speaking up for the first time. Gary was wondering the same thing.

"Unless either Meowstic know a different move, it's going to be extremely hard for her." Clemont replied.

"Remember, the female knows Dark Pulse." Serena told Clemont.