Chapter One - Mornin' Daylight

Before this story starts, if the chapters have little astricks (these floating stars **) then there is probably a little bit of mature content if you know what I mean 😏

April POV

  The shining sun burned my eyes as I woke up to a bright light in my face.

  My old, dusty mattress creaked as I sat up, stretching my arms far and yawning.

  My bunkmate, Lucy aka my unadopted mother, woke up with a startle.

  "Sorry," I yawned, peering over the edge of our bunk beds, "These beds are extremely creaky and annoying."

  "You don't know the worst of it. They give the oldest ones the worn-down ones," Lucy laughed, standing up and getting a brush for her hair.

  We slept with six other girls, Marie, who was 12, and her little sister Molly, who was 7. They bunked up.

  Next was Alexis, who was 17, a year under than Lucy, and another girl, Hope, who was 10.

  And finally, twins Kitrick (Kit) and Kayla, who are 6.

  There are boys at the Orphanage too, but they are on the floor above us.

  Lucy and Alexis have taken all the kids in Room 117 under their wing. Lucy; me, Molly, and Marie, and Alexis; Kit, Kayla, and Hope.

  Only Marie knew her mother well enough to remember even the sound of her voice. She died in childbirth of their brother, who also died. Their father abandoned them in the streets.

  Marie was six at the time and Molly was one, hardly remembering her mother.

  Kit and Kayla's mother was young, only twelve years older then they were, and she couldn't take care of them.

  Hope is quiet and doesn't talk much, but her parents died in a car crash, and she was badly injured. Only four at the time, she couldn't care for herself.

  Alexis' mother abused her, so she ran away at the age of five.

  Lucy, no one knows what happened to her. Even she doesn't know, but she's lived here her whole life.

  And my parents, they died by drowning. My mom was almost dead, and my dad couldn't leave her, so he died too.

  I was nine, and all I could remember were the police taking me to Flower Street Orphanage.

  I try my best to forget.

  "April?" Kit and Kayla asked in unison.

  "Yah?" I responded.

  "Alexis isn't awake yet, and we are hungry. Can we have breakfast?" They asked in unison. 

  "Sure. You can come down with Lucy and me," I responded.

  "What about Marie and Molly?" Kit asked. She, Kayla, and Molly were very close.

  "They can go with Alexis. We will let them sleep. Let's go," I replied, leading them over to the closet with old clothes.

  It was a Saturday, so we didn't have to go to the school, Glenmóre School District. It's a school in southern Georgia.

  I put the twins in matching white, dusty gowns. I myself got a plain white shirt (well it WAS white at a point) and some old old OLD jean shorts. They felt weird against my legs, but hey. It's better than some of the clothes.

  "Let's go to breakfast," Lucy said, dressed in jean shorts (not super old but definitely not new) and a white crop top.

  Breakfast today was yogurt and eggs, which we were forced to have one and only one serving of.

  Kit and Kayla never do that.

  Kayla is allergic to eggs, so has two yogurts and Kit doesn't like yogurt, so she has two eggs. Simple.

  Kit is the stronger, and smarter, twin, but Kayla is the creative and very fast twin.

  They are the only pair of twins at the orphanage. There was a pair of triplets, Luke, Logan, and Lilly, but they were adopted.

  Just then, to snap me out of my daze of the four-year-old triplets, Ms. Luchianna (loo-Che (as in cheat) -aw-na (as in gnaw) showed up.

  "Hello Ms. Luchianna," the twins, Lucy, a boy named Seph, a boy named Jackson, and myself, recited.

  "Hello, dearies. I see you are eating well?" She asked. We all nodded and said a 'yes Ms. Luchianna.'

  "Kit! Why do you have two eggs? And Kayla, why do you have two yogurts? You are supposed to have one of each!" Ms. Evil Witch scolded.

  I rushed to the twin's rescue.

  "Why should it matter? They still only took two eggs and two yogurts. They didn't mess up your precious system," I retorted, receiving a slap on the face.

  "Don't talk back to me young lady!" she screeched, grabbing a broom, and whacking me, "You... listen... to... me... understand?"

  "Yes Ms. Luchianna," I croaked, standing back up and bowing. She left the room with a smile on her face.