Chapter 13 - Kit & Kayla

April POV

  Kit and Kayla's mother and father were practically almost the downfall of merpeople," Caz says.

  "What?" I ask, confused.

  "Their parents, simple twelve years old, one day found a mermaid near shore. Knowing merpeople exist, they tried to fully kill off the whole race," Caz says.

  "And that's where the Landmaids and Landmen come into play," Zac says.

  "That's right. Most of the eggs and young and old merpeople had died. It was basically the  young adults and teens left. The Landmaids and Landmen, every one we could spare, were sent all over the US to find a suitable place to hold all the existing mermaids and mermen," Caz says.

  "Then what?" I ask.

  "So then two people found a spot. Their names were August and Natalie, a young couple with a small child. About nine years old," Caz says, "Anyway they found this reef we live in now. The girl was taken away to live a normal life in the human world until she realized her potential. She had her mind erased and everything. I think they left a fake memory. Not too sure."

  "Really?" I ask.

  "Yeah. Anyway, the kids got mad, and she realized she had twins, Kit, and Kayla. So she gave life, and they were sent to an orphanage too. Not sure if it was the same one as the girl though," Caspian explains.

  "So the parents of the kids were Landmaid and Landmen?" I ask.

  "Yes, they were. They're still alive, but missing. So maybe they're dead. Possibly. Anyway, it's been six years and we still haven't built up all the damage. Mermaids aren't having kids fast enough," Caz says. I make a disgusted look and breathe.

  "How are mermaid children made? Like humans?" I ask the risky question.

  "No. Girls still have their periods and crap. Cravings and moods and all the stuff men hate. But every day they are on their period they lay a little egg. Sorta like a stress ball. Anyway, see these?" Caspian asks, picking up a small bowl made of coral, "Every room has one. If the egg is laid out of a nest, it dissolves into nutrients for fish. If it is laid in a nest, the father will swipe his tail over the egg and 'grow' it."

  "So what happens if a girl lays an egg but no boy grows it?"

  "The girl immediately has a curse upon her. Sometimes they lose a sense, sometimes they lose a limp, sometimes they get bed-ridden. Make sure you always lay the egg out of the nest, unless you want a kid or a curse," Caz says.

  "So girls have about a week-long period. What if they lay seven eggs, each in a nest. Will they get seven kids?" I ask.

  "Yes. Most times people just want an egg, possibly two or three, but most just get one, and then have other children later," Caz says.

  "Can we change the topic... please?" Devan begs.

  "No. I have another question. How long is an egg in a nest?" I ask.

  "Shut up already!" Beckett whines.

  "It varies. Usually about three months. One month, they grow. The next months the egg  becomes clear and they watch the process of the baby. Once it starts crying the parents have to pop the bubble, otherwise, the baby will drown," Caz explains.

  "Is it fully air?" I ask.

  "Yeah," He replies.

  "So how are landmaids and landmen created?" I ask.

  "If you lay an egg and it hatches in the water, it's a mermaid or mermen. These are the "better  merpeople", but have no chance of escape. If you lay an egg and it hatches out of the water, it's a landmaid or landmen. These are the "worse merpeople" but have a better chance of survival if someone, Kit, and Kayla's parents, choose to invade. No other underwater creatures know of this, just merpeople," Caz says, "There could possibly be landfish."

  "Can you imagine that?" Zac asks. Beckett shakes his head.

  "What if Plankton could become a landshark?" Devan laughed, and the other boys joined him.

  "Who's Plankton?" I ask.

  "Only the cutest shark to ever live," Zac sighed.

  "Wait. So what if landmaids and Landmen do it on land, then get back in the water?" I ask.

  "Well, they have five minutes before the egg pops out. Otherwise, the kid will just die," Caspian  explains.

  "Are you done yet?" Devan snaps.

  "Why don't we show you around the school?" Caspian asks, already standing up.

  "Nope," Beckett says.

  "I'm coming!" Zac says.

  "Dev?" Caz asks.

  "Nah I'm good. But I do have to go somewhere," Devan says and quickly swims out.

  "Ima wait here," Beckett says.

  We swim out the door and then slowly down the hall.

  "Do you really trust him?" Zac asks.

  "Absolutely not," Caz replies.

  "Okay. So we have two schools. One for landmaids and men, and the other for mermaids and  men. I'm a landman, and so are everyone else," Caspian explains.

  "So what classes do we get?" I ask.

  "We have Latin, Math, English, Trinketing, Luring, Camouflaging, Siren, Quick-Swimming,  Seaology, Care of Sea Beings, and some more I can't remember right now. We only have six main classes a day, but hey switch out every day. Plus Latin, English, and Math," Caz says.

  "So what about the other school?" I ask.

  "They have all the things we have, but instead of English and Math, they have Evac. 8 and  Safety 8. Simply what to do in different situations," Caz explains.

  Caspian showed me around the school.

  "So try to memorize where everything is. We need to pick up your schedule in the office. It  changes every day. The first test, show me to the office," Caspian says. Zac went home a long time ago.

  I showed him to the office, it just took me five minutes.

  "Good. Every day at the end of school, you drop your schedule into this bin. A computer sucks it out and re-wires it depending on your grades in certain things. One time Beckett had the same schedule for three weeks," Caz says, "There are ten different stations all around the school. Two by the office, one by Math, one by English, one by Latin, three in the cafeteria, and the other two in the hallways throughout the school. They do this because everyone has Math, Latin, or English last."

  "So if at lunch what if I turn mine in to get a new one?" I ask.

  "They shut off until dismissal time. I wouldn't do it even if you can. Teachers stamp off to make sure you go to the right class. Let's get your schedule," Caz says and swims to the office. We go behind the desk.

  He swims to a screen and hits the 'New kid' button.

  'Enter Name' the computer screen reads.

  'April' Caz types.

  'Strengths?' The computer asks.

  'Math, Science, History' I type.

  'Weaknesses?'

  'English'

  'Pick up Schedule'

  Caspian swims to back around the desk and picks up my schedule.

  "Math, Luring, Trinketing, English, Quick-Swimming, Lunch, Health, Phys Ed., and Latin," Caspian reads aloud, "Let's go home and I'll see what classes we have together."

  I nod and we swim back to his cabin.