Chapter 16 - Latin

April POV

  "Really?" Maya squeals. I blush and she hugs me. She may be a mermaid, but she's a girl too.

  I had to tell someone. Telling one of Caz's friends would result in side-effect embarrassment.

  So I went to Maya.

  "Don't tell him!" I squeal. Maya starts laughing evilly.

  "What if I do?" Maya cackles.

  "No!" I cry. We both burst out in laughter.

  "But seriously, if you tell I murder you," I threaten her.

  "I ship Aspian! I ship Aspian!" Maya cheered swimming in circles around the room.

  "Honestly I think you're the little kid in this group," I smirk.

  "Hey, Caz! April loooooooves you!" Maya yells, louder on the 'love' part.

  "Shut up!" I hiss, laughing. I cover her mouth with her hands.

  "Maybe I should go get Caz," Maya says, jumping up and swimming out the door. I follow her closely. She keeps swimming 'round and 'round until she knocks on Caz's door.

  She bolts into her room and locks the door. I slam my door and lock it.

  I can see out the window Caz is looking around. He seems to look straight at me, holding my gaze.

  Until he turns away.

  I feel like rock drops in my stomach.

  I swim through Maya and I's conjoined doors.

  "What was on your freaking mind?" I yell.

  She grins.

  "The Aspian ship has to sail sometime," She smirks.

  "You're really annoying," I sigh.

  "Thank you!" She cheers. I roll my eyes.

  "But please don't tell him," I say.

  "I won't," she says. I sigh and leave through the conjoining doors.

  "She's gonna tell," I mutter to myself.

  Slumping against my bed, I slightly regret telling Maya I like Caspian.

  Slowly and slowly, day by day, week by week, month by month, I learn more and more Latin. They dropped me out of math just to give me two Latin classes.

  Finally, I've mastered most words. Words like iridescent and zodiacal I still have trouble pronouncing. Not that I'd ever need those words.

  I walk out of the Latin room, and I see Caz in the hallway.

  I smile at him, but he swims right past me as if I weren't even there.

  Zac, Beckett, and Devan have distanced themselves from me as well.

  It's the end of the day, and I quickly change my schedule out before they get too crowded.

  I swam as quickly as I could back to my cabin.

  Of course, four months later I still had a huge crush on him. 

  We had summer break last month. I'm in ninth grade now! Party!

  It was horrible.

  The last day of summer was the day he started distancing himself.

  I stared out my window in my door for him to enter his room. I saw in his room, which I haven't been in for a month, had post-it's and paper adorned all around the one wall with his bed.

  I could vaguely see pictures of two people holding hands, kissing, and hugging.

  I smiled at his artistic skills.

  Today would be the day I finally confronted him, asking why he ignores me so much.

  I look through his window. I see some of the writing on the post-its. Just Hearts, and A's.

  I knock on his door lightly. While I wait for him to show up, I braid my hair down my side.

  I knock again, and still no answer. It's been five minutes at this point.

  I try the knob and it's unlocked. I open the door and walk in.

  I don't see him in his main room, or the bathroom.

  "Caspian?" I ask out loud. I close his door behind me.

  "Caz?" I ask again.

  "What do you want?" He snaps. He comes out of his closet— the closet I have no idea why it exists, —frowning.

  "Why do you keep ignoring me?" I ask sadly.

  "I have my reasons," he sighs.

  "You haven't talked to me since the last day of summer dance. We danced a bit. And now I'm being ignored," I say sadly, looking down. I can't cry in front of him.

  "I've had a lot on my mind," He sighs.

  "You don't even talk to me at school. I've had to resort to Maya to talk to," I say sadly. Tears form in my eyes.

  I look back up at him and the space between us closed a bit.

  "I had things on my mind. I said that," He sighs.

  I look away to dry my eyes, and when I look back, he's right there.

  He lifts my chin up and kisses me.

  My natural instinct is to slap him.

  But I don't.

  Instead, I kiss him back lightly. He grabs my waist and pulls me closer to him.

  I wrap my hands around his head, pulling him tighter into me.

  The kiss is nice and gentle, nothing too rough for our first time. No tongue inside of each other's mouths (I still found that disgusting) and no taking off clothing. (we can't even do this as we don't have clothes, just a tail [girls have a bikini top] hence me ranting about closets)

  We pull away at the same time.

  "That's why," he smiled. I smiled back at him. His eyes glowed a brighter shade of hazel.

  He embraced me in a tight hug.

  I snuggle myself into him.

  "Will you be my girlfriend?" He asks me. I smile up at him.

  "Yes."