Chapter Ten - Birthday Wishes

April POV

  I quickly throw on a white dress (today is my birthday!) and run downstairs to grab an on-the-go breakfast of a bagel and cream cheese.

  I find Mae and Noah walking out the door and I run to catch up with them.

  "...always interrupting," Noah says and Mae sighs with a nod.

  "Hi, guys!" I say with a smile.

  "Hi, April!" Mae says happily as I stand next to her, but I can tell she's faking it.

  "Crap I forgot my chrome book! I'll be back don't leave without me!" I say as we round the first  corner of the building.

  Hiding on one side I listen to their conversation.

  "She's really annoying," I hear Noah sigh.

  "I know. But she's got no one else. We've got to keep up the act that we are actually friends with her," Mae says sadly.

  "I don't want you to be sad my love. But it's for the best," Noah says, and I can imagine him kissing her, "Let's go or we'll be late to school."

  "But it's her birthday. Don't you at least think we should be nice to her on her birthday?" Mae asks, and I see Noah's feet appear over the side of the building.

  "So what? It's not even her real birthday," Noah snaps.

  "Okay. Let's go," Mae sighs and I see them walk away, hand-in-hand.

  Tears start streaming down my face as I slump against the wall of the run-down orphanage. 

  Wiping my nose on my sleeve, I have one place to go.

  The ocean.

Sorry, this chapter is short, but it's really just a set-up chapter!