#29 Goodbye

Nobody's pov 

The past week went slow. Everyone had left the hospital 7 days before everyone but Mr. Kim. Unfortunately, 2 days after awakening he had died as the chemicals in his blood stream were too strong and poisoned his blood to the point it could not be purified quick enough.

Ever since that day Jennie had fallen silent, no longer speaking to her friends or the boys. Every day she sat alone in her room doing nothing but cry and sip on the water that was left at her door.  Leaving the food untouched as she had no appetite. The only time she spoke was for the funeral preparations the day after he died. 

The boys visited every day each taking turns to try and convince her to come out. Tae occasionally sleeping on the floor outside her door as he had been sat talking to her even though he would only get sniffles and sobs in return. Sometimes she would play music to shut everyone out but he didn't mind as it meant she hadn't passed out from starvation. 

They all knew today was the day she was going to come out as it was the day they had planned the funeral. Tae had woken extra early to make sure he was there when she came out and luckily he was. 

The door creaked open and Jennie appeared, under eyes a bluey black, fingers thin and eyes bloodshot.  It was clear she was struggling but she tried her best to smile.  By this time the others had all arrived and they set off to the service.

 Everyone came. Everyone, including his business friends, Jennie's sister, and boyfriend. Mr. Kim moved across the country to get away from the truth about his daughter's mother, for one year to be exact, but it wasn't until the day he died that he finally returned to her. Sadly this is the day of his funeral. Minutes later a hearse and three limos arrived at the house. The girl and her friends filed into the vehicles while the drivers loaded the hearse with the numerous roses. Mr. Kim loved roses; they were red, he loved his wife loved.

The friends arrived at the funeral location where the service would take place. The atmosphere not only looked gloomy but felt gloomy, even for Tae. Everywhere he looked there were no smiles; it reminded him of every party he had... depressing. I hate this, why did he have to die?  she is going to feel guilty for the rest of her life. Tae thought momentarily before he took his seat at the front of the others. 

But what was there really to complain about? It was a sunny day, with birds chirping and flowers blooming. His mother would have given anything to see this day.

Besides, all of his drinking buddies, church friends, former high school mates and cousins came to the funeral, making the air a little too stuffy. Jennie's father was popular in that way. For reasons, he'd never understood.

Jennie noticed something right in front of her. What she came here to see.... the casket. Good grief it was an open casket. Apparently, she would be able to see her father one last time. Something she never really wanted to do, considering they weren't very close.

On each side of the casket sat two large candles. Both were, of course, red in color. Above the casket were the roses brought from the house. And in the background, faintly playing, was a song Jennie and her sister used to sing for him to listen to every Wednesday. Umji hated that song. 

Tae's birthday happened to land a few days after Christmas, and, at the age of ten, the worse memory came with it.  He had invited his close friends to attend his birthday party, some of them were older than him by eight years. One of the coolest kids on the block agreed to stop by, too. Tae, being a young kid that he was, felt so happy to have someone he looked up to come see him on his birthday, especially because he didn't have a brother. Though things changed that day. Ever since that sad, sad day Tae never was nor the older kid that came to his birthday to supposedly support him. He was Tae the Tae that had to support Jennie.

 Jennie decided not to see her father one last time. She didn't want to accidentally get angry. You could say she gets it from him.  Her anger for her was well known. Some people even thought she murdered people from her old school and that is why she transferred at first, but that was just a rumor.

The casket was closed, and pallbearers carried it on their shoulder to the hearse. Friends and family followed. Jennie reluctantly joined them.

As the casket lowered into the ground, many tears were shed. Tae even had a tear shed, but it honestly wasn't sadness. Tae believed he had every right to hate her father. He knew Mr.Kim didn't care for her well and that she will forever be blaming herself for his death.  For Jennie to have attended this funeral was a miracle in and of itself. Truly, he wanted closure but he'd never admit that to himself.