#31 The Dinner

At the dinner, Nari confessed everything to her sister. A long, overdue confession that could potentially rekindle their relationship.

"So why didn't you  come to Eommas funeral?" Jennie asked confused 

"Well,  Things were different then. Appa would recognize me and then Umji would have to deal with the guilt. when I walked out on you all. They knew they needed to change but after eomma supposedly died I knew appa would change dramatically. I packed a few things and left in fear. I was afraid. That if I came back I wouldn't be welcome. I was so easily replaced I knew I could just as easily be forgotten. "

"But you waited for 17years! I was 1 years old and you left me! If you couldn't cope how did you think I would?"

"Well, I left that day and I never returned. I made sure to leave you a token of me to remember me by. Do you still have that small photo frame with the song lyrics on it?"

"Yes! The one with the picture of me and Umji in it?." 

"Yep,  but that isn't Umji that's me.  But the token is behind that picture."

Jennie grinned. "But, wait a second. If that is you where is umji surely there should be three of us in that photograph?, Is she even our sister? Wait so this whole time there has been something behind that picture?" Jennie blurted out a few questions at a time. 

"Are you sure you want to know?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Spit it out!"

"You only have one biological sister which is me., before I left eomma and appa wanted another child, however, eomma didn't want to go through the pregnancy as she was always weaker than normal. They opted for adoption and were in the process of the adoption of Umji when I left.  She made a great replacement for me as we are of the same age and it was easy for her to act as a filler sister. She must have stopped being such a sister when Eomma died as it seems there is tension between you. I always came to see you when I could, however, it was never direct. I always saw you playing at the park and eating out as a family. It was great watching you grow up I just wish I had been there. There are no photos of the three of us because I left before she came. I always met up with her to talk as we knew each other from school so we discussed everything at home and how much you had grown." 

Tae sat silently not really sure what to say. The girl that had been horrible to Jennie at the hospital wasn't in anyway related to her but still felt the need to accuse her of her father's death. 

"I'm sorry Jennie I should have told you about Nari but I wanted what you could have had with her. I wanted a little sister to protect and look after. I wanted her life so I took it"

"Oh my god. Shut up Umji! You would have had that life if Nari left of not! Even if you tried to take her place you couldn't because she wouldn't have run away a year ago! She wouldn't blame me for appa's death. Even though she hasn't been her for 17 years she has been a damn right better sister than you ever have."

"I'm sorry " she whispered one last time

"I think we will be going now, Don't contact me in the future Umji" Jennie sighed and looked at Tae and held his hand as they walked out and headed back to Jennie's dorm where Tae stayed the night but this time in a bed and not on the hallway floor. 

And with those final words,  Kim Nari the female who carried a heavy heart for 17 years against the two people who loved her more than anyone had ever loved her, was now crying tears of sadness for her. Her Sister Jennie wasn't a lowlife, she was a true angel. Something Nari had every reason to be proud of.