• 10 •

Korean
English
_______________________________
You could say the majority of Chani's day was completely unproductive because he just sat on the sofa with his eyes glued to the screen like a five year old, or one could argue that he was 'learning' lots of new information while watching it?

Anyways, the moon had already replaced the sun by the time Youngbin, Inseong and Dawon returned but they all entered the living room to see the 16 year old watching television, sitting as stiff as a log.

Youngbin immediately dived in for the remote to switch it off because, I mean, how long could he have been watching it for? Clearly all day, but Youngbin didn't know that. Regardless, he didn't want Chani to prolong his tv watching, otherwise he could start to go blind. It's for the best.

Chani turned sharply to Youngbin and sent a glare, slightly sofening the expression when he realised it was Youngbin- since he really shouldn't get on his bad side. He waved to the older and grinned.

"Hello Chani!" Youngbin's face copied Chani's.

Inseong showed up behind Youngbin and also smiled.

"Youngbin, you should tell Chani what he's going to do from now."

"We already agreed, Inseong, that you would explain everything since you're the one that speaks English."

"Oh yeah." Inseong scratched his head. He moved his eyes to the younger and opened his mouth. "Chani. Youngbin has decided to have you take lessons in the Korean language. It will help you to communicate in this new country, yes? We would also like you to attend school at some point, but we want to be able to ajust and be comfortable before any of that. Okay?"

Chani replied with a nod.

"You will start Korean lessons tomorrow, then. Every weekday at 4 in the afternoon." Inseong finished. He strolled out the room and Youngbin told Chani to prepare for dinner.

Many days passed. The working went to work and the non- working (aka Chani) somehow managed to watch tv everyday without getting bored. Chani, to everyone's surprise, was actually a really fast learner and was able to already form small sentences in Korean by the end of the first week.

One morning, all the members of the household were gathered to eat the most important meal of the day. This specific morning was different from the others because Chani walked down the stairs and at the table, he bowed to everyone.

"Good morning!" He chirped. All eyes were on him in an instant as they questioned themselves. 'Did he just speak Korean? KOREAN!'

Upon the realisation, everyone cheerfully welcomed him to the table. the meal was much more energetic that morning- as if Chani had performed some magic and lifted everyone's spirits.