8

Alec has been panicking all week for the social worker's visit. Jefferey said they would pop up out of nowhere to inspect our apartment. That meant the place would have to be clean and prepared for a visit. I've never seen Alec clean so much in a daily basis my entire life. He also found the time to get Jaxon his own little bed and set it up in his room, so I finally got my bed and room back to myself.

"They were supposed to come last week." he groans, eating his cereal in the kitchen. "I'm going out of my mind trying to get things perfect."

"Don't you think the place is a little too clean." I say, sitting on the couch behind Jaxon while he colored in a book on the coffee table. "I mean, he is a three year old and they should expect that toys would be around the place."

Alec walks over to a drawer bin that he bought for Jaxon's toys. He took out a toy truck and set it on the floor.

"There," he says as if he accomplished something big. "He also has that stuffed elephant he carries around all the time in his arms."

"I'm going to take him out of here before he witnesses his own dad going crazy." I laugh, standing up to get the both of us ready to leave.

I take Alec's car because it had a car seat. We head down to the town square and walk around with ice cream cones in our hands. We go to the park and sit on the bench. I talk to him about so many different things and it made my day because of the things he would say back. He stands up to throw away his leftover cone with melted ice cream. He stands in front of me and we start laughing about a bird that ran away from him. He looks to his side and lets out a little gasp.

"Harry!" he squeals loudly.

My head shoots over to Harry walking down the path. Caroline stood by his side, pushing a stroller. They got closer and Jaxon runs up to him.

"Jaxon, no!" I try stopping him.

Harry greets him then picks him up. "What are you doing, bud?"

"I'm with Rylee." Jaxon tells him, clapping his sticky hands together.

"Babysitting again?" Caroline asks, trying to tickle Jaxon, but he shyly turns away. "He's so adorable."

"Yeah for my brother." I say, walking over to them. "He's been a wreck because we were supposed to have an inspection last week and now we're expecting them this coming week– it's just a lot for him."

"Taking care of a child at your guy's age must be tough." Caroline nods. "But I heard you're one of the best babysitters in town, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, right?"

"That's true, but it's been a while since I've last babysat."

"Oh," Caroline says then grins at Harry.

"No." he says sternly, shaking his head.

"Why not?" she groans, gripping his arm.

"She's probably busy." he glances at me. "We can't just-"

"What is it?" I step in.

"Some of our old friends invited us to go out tonight and we are in a rut because we can't find a babysitter last minute." she explains. "If you're not busy, would you mind? I really hope you're not busy." she says in a begging tone. I look at Harry who didn't seem to want me to take the gig. I was going to decline, but she talks over me. "We'll pay you a lot!"

"Thanks, but money really isn't something I worry about." I tell her.

"Then what is it?" she whines. "Please, the last time we went out was that dinner that Harry ditched."