20

Boxes were scattered around the loft. I went around labeling them while Kourtney reminisced our time together over a glass– correction glasses of wine with Monique and Abby.

"Kourt, we'll see each other again." I laugh out, dropping my marker on the box I just labeled. "It'll be just how we are now."

"No it won't." she pouts, gulping down her wine. "We're going to be old and have different interests. We'll probably be married with kids by the time."

"I would like to think every one of you will invite me to your wedding." Abby raises an eyebrow. "It'll just be messed up if you don't."

"See Kourt, we will see each other at big events like our weddings." I shrug, resting at the dining table with them.

"I'll be the only one in this group who's not married." Kourtney puts herself down once again. "I'll be that slutty bridesmaid ruining all of your weddings."

"You can be as slutty as you want at my wedding, Kourt." Monique pats her arm. "Just stay away from my groom and we'll be good."

I playfully swat Monique then put my attention back on Kourtney. "Kourt, you are a beautiful, fun and kind of crazy girl. You'll find someone who will be just as crazy as you."

Kourtney brings her hand to her chest and looks at me in awe. "That's the most beautiful thing anyone has ever said about me." she stands up and throws her arms around me. "I'm going to miss you, Rylee!"

"She's squeezing really tight." I call for help. "Someone get her off before she kills me."

Abby and Monique get the drunken Kourtney off of me. I quickly move over to the kitchen to pour another glass of wine, but only a drop falls.

"Yeah, Kourtney drank most of it." Monique walks passed me to the fridge and pulls out a couple beers. "Luckily, we still have that beer your brother bought for your last party." she hands me a bottle after opening it.

"Thanks." I simply say, lightly tapping our glasses together before taking a swig of it.

I don't know why, but I felt an awkward vibe between us. We've been hanging out and talked many times. It's just every time there's silence, it's just plain awkward. It wasn't like this before because she'd make sure we never had awkward silences. I sit  on the futon and Monique follows me.

"Rylee," she sighs out my name then sips her beer. "I don't think we'll ever be as close as we were before everything with your dad." she says as if she was reading my mind.

"Wha-why would you say that?"

"Oh come on," she laughs. "We may not be close anymore, but I do know you and how you are. You might've have forgiven and forgotten, however, we both know nothing's been the same. It's been– weird." she points out. "We've been acting like we're still close when we're not. I know we've been talking about our personal problems, but I believe it's because we want to think we're the best friends we were before."

"I really do want us to be the best friends we were before though." I smile at her. "You're the only one who was there for me through my tough times and last year was a very- very tough time of my life."

"Yes, last year was-" she stifles out a laugh. "You'd been through so much, I don't know how you're coping."

"Well, obviously I'm not, hence the moving across the country."

"I really hope you find yourself over in California." she nods. "Get a good job like Ravalon, find a better boyfriend, and better— friends."

"Don't be silly, Monique." I frown. "You are a good friend and will always be considered my best. After all I put you through to keep my secret– you deserve better friends."