21

There was silence throughout the apartment. I kept one headphone in as I typed away on my laptop for a paper that was due right before midnight tonight. I kept changing in many positions on my bed to get comfortable as I typed. I finish up a sentence when knocking echoes the place. I pull out my headphones and grunt when I lift myself up from laying on my stomach then trailed out of my bedroom. The knocking appeared again when I twist the nob.

"Greg, hello." I say politely, keeping a smile.

Greg is one of my neighbors who lives right across the hall. We became friends right when I moved in two years ago. I only lived with my dad for a year and after being controlled by him a bit much, I decided it was time to move out.

"I'm here with the pizza and beer." he announces, stepping in and looks around.

"Jen isn't here." I tell him and he lets out a nervous chuckle.

"Jen? Why would I care if she was here? I don't care." he rambles on.

"You're even nervous at the mention of her name." I tease. "It's been two years, Greg, it's time to make a move."

"I-I don't know." he shrugs, sitting on a stool by the island. "Jen is just really out of my league and I believe I'm far too deep in the friend zone– I think it's too late."

"You have to try." I urge. "You like her, don't you?"

"I think we've established that."

"Then make a move!" I laugh out, taking a bite of the pizza.

"I'm no good at making moves." he shakes his head. "It just gets very awkward and very embarrassing if they reject you. How do you make a move?"

I laugh loudly, shaking my head. "It's been years since I last made a move on a guy." I tell him. "I haven't been on a date since I moved here."

"I don't understand why." he says, making hand gestures at me. "You're beautiful and very smart. Any guy would be lucky to have you."

I look at him in awe. "Thank you- that! That right there is what will help you with Jen." I suggest. "And it's not that I can't get a date. I just made a promise to myself to make something of myself before focusing on my love life."

"So you've never made a move on a guy, but they've made a move on you?" he asks and I nod. "What do they do when they make a move?"

"I told you," I sigh then laughed at his dorky ways. "Call her beautiful, smart and whatever."

"Do you think Jen will f-"

"Jen will what?" Jen walks in, shuffling through the mail in her hands.

"You're beautiful, smart and whatever!" Greg blurts out and my eyes widen at him. He shrugs, gulping down his beer. "I suck." he murmurs under his breath.

"Um okay," she says, setting down the mail in two separate piles then slides one over to me. "There's your mail, Rylee."

I thank her, dropping my pizza to check whatever I had. I jump and squeal with excitement.

"I'm so excited for this wedding coming up." I say, showing them a picture of the bride and groom. "I can't wait to see everyone all together again."

"I can't wait to see this town you came from." Greg smiles. "The stories you told made it so exciting."

"Don't get too excited because it really isn't exciting." I tell him. "But the people there are sure exciting!"

"I wish I could've been your plus one." Jen pouts. "Stupid community service. Sure I ran a couple of stop signs, but no one got hurt."