Chapter 14

The day had been a bit too much for Constance as she laid in bed on Christmas Eve. All the events just seemed to be pilling up. And compared to her usual life, things were getting a tad hectic. In a way.

The boy and the meetings, almost missing the train and now even the Remys', who always stayed for Christmas were now gone. As apparently Miss Nutcombe had relieved their duties or whatever that ment. It all left Constance confused.
So she laid in bed contemplating everything.

Suddenly the memory of the day before, when Miss Nutcombe went to pick her up at the train station, flew into her mind.

It was a crowded platform like it always is before Christmas. Paretns and other family members waiting unpatiently for their children to come. To celebrate and be joyful for a week or so before returning back to school and work.

At least that was how Constance saw it. The minute she said goodbye to her friends, who luckily hadn't questioned her about why she had almost missed the train, she set eyes on her care taker.

For some unknown reason Miss Nutcombe never seemed to feel comfortable around people and would have an unreadable expression set on her feautures each time. As it turned out it was a mutual feeling. People also didn't feel comfortable around her and tried to avoid direct contact.

Constance supposed she just looked like a really strict woman, who was not to be messed with.

Anyway that day her expression seemed a bit tense and even a bit darker if that is the word to use.

As Constance reached her the woman managed a small almost non-existent smile. "Hello, Konstantia. How are you feeling?"

It was a bit unusual for the woman to ask such a question but Constance still answered," Good I guess. Are Ray and Mrs. Remy waiting at the household?"

It seemed Miss Nutcombe was a bit uneasy as she put all her weight on another leg and then repeated the action," I am afraid to say that Mr. and Mrs. Remy will not be able to join us for these holiday festivities or at least they won't be as much present this year."

"What? Why?" Constance couldn't help, but react abruptly much to the disapproval of the older woman.

"They have been relieved off of their duties for the time being," she answered a bit more strictly. "Now come we must leave."

The memory came to an end leaving Constance as confused as ever. The household was nothing without the Remy's, who had never gone away for so much time. They had always been there for Constance and had brought life to the house. Of course Miss Nutcombe was there too, but she was never too envolved in things. She just always seemed to keep her distance.

All this thoughts seemed to be running in her head as she sat up in her bed and caught sight of the broken radio in her bag on the floor.

Slowly she neared and gently, as if it would break just at the presance of the smallest preasure, pulled out the machine.

She had intended to give it to Ray to fix it again, but because of his absence she decided to do the next big thing. Take it to Miss Nutcombe.

Constance took a deep breath before heading downstairs to the library, where she was sure to catch the older woman. It just always seemed that that was the only room existing to Miss Nutcombe as she almost never left it.