Chapter 15

Like it did near Nutcombe manor lightning lit up the night's sky on Christmas Eve by The Grimauld place too

Like it did near Nutcombe manor lightning lit up the night's sky on Christmas Eve by The Grimauld place too. But that wasn't what had grabbed Regulus' attention. In fact it was a big crash that sounded like something breaking. Out of curiosity Regulus stood up from his bed where he had been laying minutes before and left the book he had been reading open.

Catiously he neared the staircase leading to the ground floor as the crashing was coming from there. And as he neared he also heard voices yelling at eachother.

He knew exactly who it was for they had been going at it since dinner.

Flash back

The sun had set early that day, when Regulus got home along with his brother. Their mother had awaited them at the station back in London giving a glare to Sirius and a hug to Regulus, which the boy gladly accepted. It was a greeting of very few words between the family, most directed at Regulus as Walburga had been known to almost ignore Sirius's existence in public, but the moment they got home she had something to say to the older son.

"I can not believe a Black could ever be so dim-witted to associate himself with such filth. Such mud," Walburga began warming up for her usual criticism over Sirius. Luckily for all, the older Black had the thought to walk away before it could even start. Not that that helped with their mother's anger. It almost seemed to do the opposite.

In times like that Regulus spent his time in his bedroom avoiding the downstairs as much as possible. Usually until a meal, which in this case was dinner.

The boy knew that the meal was always ready at exactly seven p.m. and being Christmas Walburga was even more precise. That wasn't because the family celebrated it or anything like that. No it was just to up-hold the image, like everything was in the household. But Regulus didn't mind that for in his mind his parents were always right and their words were almost taken as sacred in public and at home. Although that didn't go well with Sirius.

The boy was deep in thought while he sat on his bed reading one of the books he had snached from the room of Requirement as the mysterious girl called it in their conversation.

Unlike last time he didn't lose his temper or feel the need to confront the girl about her identity. This time, eventhough Regulus would never admit it, he was just glad for someone to talk to without them mentioning the Dark Lord or anything similar to that.

Regulus turned the page when he heard his mother calling to come down and like usually she wasn't in a cheery mood. The boy swiftly stood up and laid the book down glancing at the title one last time.

Macbeth, he read. Before hurrying off down the stairs.

 Before hurrying off down the stairs

Flash forward

All the family members including Orion Black, Sirius' and Regulus' father, were there eating dinner that Walburga had prepared. Although Orion was a hard man to find at home he was always home for dinner, which to say the least was either filled with silence or arguing.

"Regulus I hear you have made it to Slugclub?" his father tried to make conversation with the younger son.

Proudly Regulus nodded sitting up even straighter if possible. "Yes, father you heard correctly. Professor Slughorn has invited only the best students to join and to say the least it's an honour."

Orion only nodded with a small proud smile before continuing to eat.

"Are there any Muddbloods?" Walburga suddenly asked making both parents avert their eyea at Regulus.

"One or two as Professor Dumbledore had probably orded him too," Regulus told knowing it was probably what his parents wanted to hear.

"That old fool. So forgetful of what muddbloods really are. Of where they belong. He even let that monster of a boy enter the school," Walburga had a sour smile on her lips as she began her usual rant when suddenly Sirius had enough.

He bumped his fists on the table shaking the plates on it and stared angrily at his mother," What are they mother, huh? And where do they belong?!? If you ask me they are as good of a wizard as any other. They are just like us if not better. They do not judge us. And Dumbledore is neither foolish nor forgetful to let them get the things they deserve."

Sirius had been quiet before, but it seemed that their mother's words had really got to him.

"How dare you speak to me in that mannor?" Walburga began.

"I can speak however I want. It is not your decision to make. And aren't you the one who always speaks so ill of people that had done nothing?"

"I speak of them because they deserve it. They have no place in the wizarding world and so do people with your thoughts. Traitors all of them if you ask me. But of course you would defend them. You have that Potter brat for a friend and other filth. Ugh especially that Lupin boy..."

"Don't you dare call him filth. They are my friends. And the only traitor here is you. You speak of wizards that are not so different from yourself. They work hard to get what they want unlike other purebloods who just get everything without having to move a finger. You say they are filth well I say look in the mirror. I think you will see the biggest filth of all."

That got Walburga over the edge as she clenched her fists thightly and stood up clearly full of rage.

"Go to your room Regulus, we have to talk to Sirius alone," Orion ordered the younger Black, who obeyed without a second thought and left the room.

***

The arguing seemed to reach its' peak when Regulus heard a crashing sound resembling glass shattering. At that moment Sirius came running up the stairs where Regulus had been observing the whole situation.

The two brothers shared a look, which for the first time in years was not filled with venom or judgment or anger. It was almost like they were kids again with no argument or wall placed between them. But it was clear in Sirius' eyes that he was saying goodbye.

Regulus could see that it was all too much for his older brother. He didn't belong there. In the Black household. He didn't belong in the prejudice pureblood families. He never did.

A simple non-verbal understanding seemed to flow between the two before Sirius nodded his head as a goodbye and ran into his room.

The younger Black could hear the window opening and getting caught in the wind of the storm. Regulus went to open the door of his brother's room only to see his figure disappearing out the window.

Suddenly rage overtook the young boy making him destroy anything in his path. Mor correctly Sirius' room. He kicked and beat the table and furniture around until he just broke down. Like his muscles couldn't hold him up anymore.

Out of nowhere he heard a small voice appear.

"Master Regulus?" Kreacher asked quietly noting the shock on the young Black's face.

"Yes, Kreacher?" Regulus numbly asked staring into the distance still shocked of what he had just witnessed.

"Should I tell the Mistress and Master Black of your brother's departure?" the house elf asked. His eyes as big as ever waiting for the boy's command.

Regulus stayed quiet for a second thinking things over while rubbing his eyes that he hadn't realised were a bit watery.

"No. Not yet," he finally said. "You should wait an hour or two before filling them in." For some reason Regulus knew that Kreacher would listen to him. No matter the situation Kreacher always seemed to put his word first.

The Black stood up slowly and in a daze headed back to his room.

Sirius is gone, was the last thought on his mind.