Chapter 4: A Filthy mouth's bird

"How many bites could one take from you?" She asked surveying the animal trapped under her water jail. "Four or five, seven at most" She appraised under the horrified look of the animal.

"Oh, so you do understand human language!" she voiced, her smile growing radiant as her killing intent flare. Hadn't she asked this insolent thing back in the water room to show itself? Wouldn't she have been lenient had it obeyed her back then instead of trying to annoyed her at every turn.

Instead of the anger that had been present in the animal's eyes, fear took place. Such a black suffocating killing intent, this wench was serious it realized.

"This one is not tasty" it squeaked in her mind, making her flinched for she was unprepared. "Absolutely not."

"What are you?" She asked a little surprise, her anger gone and three fingers massaging her template for the voice had been shouting.

Seyran hadn't actually expected it to be able to talk, so, as fast as she had thought to skin it and eat it, she was thinking how to use it. Sensing her change of mind maybe, fear fled it and it roared with anger again.

"How insulting! Treating my great self like this! Stinking human, free me this instant!"

Her icy blue eyes contained laughter now as she stared at the agitated animal batting its wings frenetically on a little hill made of mud. It was really a perplexing little thing, so Seyran let it ran its mouth as it pleased.

At first she thought it was a spirit that had manifested in the human world as a familiar. But it wasn't. Familiar weren't able to talk in anyone's mind other than their own master. And this bird and she hadn't formed any bound yet so she wasn't its master, still, it spoke so clearly in her mind.

But then again it could actually absorb mana like a real familiar!

Usually one need to summon a spirit, the summoner would then propose his mana to his summon and if it is to its satisfaction, the contract could be formed. Most of the time, the very fact that the spirit responded to the summoning meant it was okay with the future master's mana, the ones who sometimes failed to make a contract after a successful summoning were those who had forced said summoning to happen. That was the first method, requesting the user to call the spirit in the spirit's dimension. The second possibility was that the spirit was already in the human world –in that case it already bore the appearance of a familiar-, not having returned after its master's death or the break of their contract. To form a bound with this kind was a little more complicated for they were usually stubborn and capricious, looking for mana with the same taste as their former master. One needed to be really careful because it was usually the most powerful familiar, which, still missing their master, refused to returned to their own world. But if one was lucky, one's mana could be to their liking and they wouldn't hesitated a single bit to steal it thus allowing one to be their new master. Books said it was an honor, Seyran used to think it was nonsense and stealing is still stealing –no one touched her things without her permission and live to tell the tale.

Seyran still couldn't decide if it was or not familiar material. Back in Unzu she had forced some familiars to obey to her by sheer power, they obeyed her for a time but she could never establish a bound with them. She tried many methods to feed them her mana, but always failed. They seemed to suffocate and a little afterwards would disappear, returning to their spirit's dimension; thus, she had never known the feeling of being a master. Five minutes ago she still wasn't interested but seeing the ability of this one as such a little age as it seemed to be, make one wondered about his future abilities. Having lost the majorities of her power, she wouldn't mind having a powerful familiar now –before it was just out of curiosity that she tried.