Chapter 14: No retreat

It was in the early hours of the morning that Huang finally found Yenaigai.

The bird had searched all around the vast palace which size could really be comparable to a city. It was absolutely tiring; flying here, entering there, cloaked with its invisibility! Even when it finally saw that woman who had the golden lion, no trace of the servant was in her courtyard. Really, that one knew how to always put it in a foul mood. Wait until found and see how much it was going to pick his head!

However having found nothing, the red bird was quite reluctant to return near that woman. She seemed weak and quite approachable for now; but really, it didn't want to know how she will react. As the night was becoming darker and the dawn was pointing in the horizon, the temperature was quite freezing. Whether it was Yenaigai's fault or not, the bird kept cursing the poor young man in its mind. This was a bird that liked fire. Fire! How come it was forced to endure so much coldness for the sake of a human? As it flew out of the palace to try its luck, its thoughts were becoming truly gloomy.

Who would have thought that the very one subject of its irritability would actually become the one to lift its spirits! Here was the human!

Huang had never flown as fast as it did at the moment it recognized the one lying on the ground, on one of the corners of the capital's road, not really far from the palace. But upon arriving near the lying figure it flew multiple times around it, to actually make sure.

He was lying on the ground with tattered and soaked clothes. The poor thing was bruised all over and sported some bandages on his body, even though there were many cuts that were left untreated. There were some people around him, and while one was trying to ask for a report of the case, some others were wondering about who the stranger had offended. It wasn't really a usual thing but sometimes there were cases of noble families punishing their offenders. Be those servants or people that could be called nobody, those without a powerful backing to protect them. If that was the case now, who was daring enough to report this and caused calamity to befall on oneself and one's family! The ministry of Justice tended to neglect those affairs and sided with the wrong party!

Once those words were said, the five others kept silent, and everyone looked at one another. On those four men and two women faces, was the same reality: they were going to pretend that they saw nothing. Really, they were just servants in charge of sweeping this part of the roads, it was still better for them to stay far from troubles. When the time came they would just say they didn't see anyone when doing their duty. Let this matter be handled by another.

That there were just six people around Yenaigai at this moment wasn't really strange. Of course, usually there were many early risers and the road would be definitely more affluent than this. But after the fervor passed, the fact that someone came attacking the palace yesterday was still real and a very troublesome matter. The day before they were all in a group, so their courage was big. However, now that most of them had been forced to return to their home, going out at this moment, they were reluctant to do so. They have waited around many of the gates until long in the night but no information came from the palace, and in the end, they have been driven away. The silence after something like this was alarming. It was frightening to think about what may have happened. That person controlled Fenrir after all. No one wanted to be where he shouldn't be when he shouldn't be. Even some officials were reluctant to go to court today.

It wasn't like Huang was actually interested in listening to them. The moment it was sure that it was really that servant the woman was searching for, it descended on his body, releasing a cry while doing so, to have the troublesome persons go away. The cry was not as powerful as it wanted it to be but, since while descending it shot at the same time a particularly hot wind at them, they stumbled and fell on their behinds in fright.