Chapter 7: The Zao Village

That presence, that scent. The beast couldn't contain itself. It wanted to tear everything apart. But its fast damaging core reminded it to rein its blood lust. Soon, it thought to calm itself, very soon its wishes should be fulfilled. It had waited for five centuries now, two years couldn't compare. With painful control, its killing intent disappeared, its white eyes turned dark once again. The coldness that started to freeze the capital's inhabitants was retracted. The fur head lied down once again and closed its eyes. Soon, it repeated like a mantra, the same one it used for two centuries now.

***

Zao village was one of the many villages that surrounded the Lein Oasis. The air was still fresh and crisp there even though in the desert it had started to be heated and burning. After the desert and the small steppe in front of it, were dressed the immense gates of the capital. Even though she didn't really know, that's where Seyran was gazing at now with a slight frown on her face. That killing intent so far away had disappeared as fast as it had appeared. It had been so violent that she really hadn't thought its bearer would succeed in controlling it. But such a deep hatred; was the person really going to let it go just like that?

Seyran was actually standing in the middle of a muddy road, not concerned about the calmness she had brought in the previously busy market at all, or about the gazes that were still fixed on her for that matter. Actually, those people had long faded in the background as she had prepared her mind for what she had thought to be an incoming battle but turned out to be nothing.

Huang, perched on her shoulder had felt the danger in the air too, but who would have thought that it would disappeared before even making itself clear? Not that the little bird felt like fighting anytime soon anyway. The lazy days it spent recently, it found them quite fulfilling somehow. However, the bird knew for sure it angered no one, no one to the point of wanting its death anyway. So, was it the one under its claws that actually did? She certainly seemed like the one targeted though. The bird tilted its head to look at the human girl that was still looking towards the north direction without blinking.

A little group of people started gathering around her, staring intently, taking in her beautiful clothes that were already dirtied and the little animal on her shoulder that was still holding the white stone in its claws. Yenaigai would really cry upon seeing her white feet touching so vulgare mud. Huang could remember the fuss the servant would make when Seyran just wanted to walk in the garden. He would plead to have her reconsidered or to have her draped something around her feet. Go figure why Seyran indulged him, but then the birdie concluded, it was certainly to have the servant shut up for he wouldn't stop otherwise.

"You..." finally stammered one of the whispering villagers in her direction. It was an old woman dressed simply, that was holding a market bag. She was the one nearest to Seyran. "Did you just use a crystal stone?" she whispered-asked, looking left and right, quite fearful. Fearful of what, Seyran didn't know.

"She teleported" one whispered loud enough to be heard by the others.

"She used the crystal stone" another one said.

Suddenly there was a loud gasp and everyone started to scatter in fear. Just when Seyran was about to discover why they were now so panicked, a little hand suddenly grabbed her clothes and pulled at her sleeves, wanting her to follow. Seyran's first reaction had been to think about killing that daring little girl in tattered cloth. Let alone that she openly disrespected her, she was still tugging so forcibly at her clothes with her little hands. Then as fast as she thought along these lines, she buried such considerations. She wasn't the Unzu's queen anymore. That kind of bloody life, she wanted it behind her. And so, she was for the first time docile in a complete stranger's hands, letting this unknown little girl pull her and have her run until they arrived at the back of a small house, out of sight.