9 ~ 'Hot bererages and small talk'

Your P.O.V

I sit crosses legged on the chair, the pillow plump and soft. I had caught Nick looking this way, strange fox.
He walks over with the tray carrying our hot beverages, collecting some sugars from a nearby pot. Attentively positioning the tray in the centre of the table, taking a seat opposite me.

The hot chocolate is as rich as it is dark. Flowing as slowly as cream as I swirl the thick liquid, knowing the bottom is a mass of sugar crystals that have reformed as it cools. Nick takes a sip of his coffee. A content expression on his face. His eyes draw away from his coffee up to me. "Any particular reason you were passed out on the bench outside?" His tone neutral. The steam rising from the mug as his lips spend time away. Not sensing any tension, I decide to be somewhat honest, "well, my apartment got rather boisterous this morning" I sip the unsettled liquid, partially cooled from blowing it. Wincing, I trail my lips around the outside of the mug. "Got friends staying with you?" We hold eye contact, my expression doesn't alter from the same smile I've been displaying. I'm actually quite enjoying myself, it's been a while since I've eaten with someone. "Let's go with that, they just come and... Go as they please" withdrawing from this particular subject I attempt to question him, feeling almost compelled to get to know him. "What about you? Always been an early bird officer?" I sway back on my chair, tilting my head to hear better. "Again with the officer, is that my name now? And I can be quite a restless sleeper, I find it to help going for a walk, or just waking up early"
"I see... And nicknames are fun to give don't you agree?" Pulling an amused grin he laughs at my comment, "then I guess it's only fair if I give you one too."

----------------------------------------------
Author note:

Quick thing, for your nickname I'm contemplating on a few, not entirely sure if giving a nickname will defeat the purpose of the whole 'y/n'
But if you don't like it, or have suggestions, just pretend it's whatever you like instead. Or I might just do n/n (nick name)

Thanks for reading (^∇^)
Bye bye 👋🤗