Chapter Ninteen - Real Mates - (Hunter's POV)

Real Mates

*~Hunter's POV~*

Damon paced back and forth between some trees. Swearing up and down at Josh for something while his face turned red. "What is taking him so long?" He sighed.

"Well we did just kind of leave him with the guy that bullied him for years and gave him a gun. I think he'll be just fine, Damon. And if not, we're here to control the situation." I said sitting down on some random log. I was trying my best to come to terms with it myself.

Damon glanced at me for a moment. "How are you doing this?" He asked after a while, "I mean, you really must not care about anything."

I looked up at him before slowly getting up and walking over to him.

"I don't care? That's a new one. I don't care." I started, "I'll let you know that I care and worry about him, way more than you think I do. I have things that I can't say or do around him, or you for that matter."

"Me? What do I have to do with anything?" Damon asked.

I laughed bitterly at him, "Oh really, Damon? You know what you have to do with this situation." I sighed and leaned against a tree. Damon looked ashamed of himself. "You know, I would have never thought of a cover up quite like yours. I mean, pretending to hate him when really your in love with him and are trying to 'protect' him. How fucking poetic."

"Hunter, look, I never meant to harm you or anything. And I really didn't want to harm Alex." He started and I laughed some more at his claims, "All I want you to know is that whatever happened between Alex and I is done, okay?"

I rolled my eyes and looked at him in disbelief. "Alex said that too. And I wanna believe you guys, I do. But I know better. I probably know too much." I was trying to hold myself together but I was already tearing apart at the seams. I just didn't understand why Curse would do this to me. Just tell me that my mate isn't really mine and just let me live with that for the rest of my life.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Damon asked. And I couldn't hold back anymore. I could feel the tears sliding down my face. I was so disgusted by my own brother right now. His voice. His naïveté. That he doesn't even realize how much I wanted to hate him right now. But I couldn't because he didn't know. Damon came closer to me, his face mixed up in confusion. "Hunter, what does that mean!"

I choked back my sobs the more I squeezed my eyes close as the pathetic mess of tears streamed down my face. Everything was so fucked up. This whole sistuation was fucked. And I was exhausted. Emotionally, mentally, and even a bit physically. Why did I even try to act like I could handle this? Why did I even have to? I was done with listening to their claims because I knew they wouldn't keep them.

I don't blame them. Why would Alex want me anyway? He's mated to my brother. My stupid and confused brother. They've already been together once. Why not just go back to old patterns of Damon and Alex with me hiding in the shadows. Why should I even try anymore – there was no point. I had no point. I was mateless. I probably don't even have a mate. Who else if not Alex? There was no body else. There can't be anybody else. So what's the point of hiding it? I might as well tell Damon. But I don't know how to tell Alex. He'll probably be happy. "Your right." I whispered. "He's not my mate."

"What are you talking about?"

"Alex! He's not my mate, okay! You were fucking right!" I cried out. "He yours, Damon. Yours." Now the tears were too much to stop. I just couldn't do this. I couldn't bottle things up like this. But how else am I supposed to stay Alpha like this? A sobbing, broken, crying mess. And the things that constantly race around in my head make everything worse. Not even touching on Gift and Curse.