Chapter Six - Gift Shows Herself - (Hunter's POV)

Gift Shows Herself

*~Hunter's POV~*

Surrounded by nothing but darkness and blue mist I made my way through the forest. Trudging my legs that seemed to be getting heavier with each step. The voices were louder than before ringing in my ears. Crying out to me. Luring me closer and closer to it's hiding place.

The dark seemed to be twisting its self around me as I ran faster. Then a laugh that was sinister cold ripped through the forest. I stopped in front of a tree. At least I thought it was a tree. The bark was thick and seemed to wrap around it's self as if it were made from several smaller trees. It was covered in diamonds that looked so tempting to touch. The blue mist swirling around it making them look wet with dew. The odd blue sunlight making them shine rainbow.

I reached out to touch them but stopped when I saw that other half of the forest. It was dark and gloomy. But it looked like it was suppose to be like that. The trees all looked dead, and seemed to have faces that would disturb you in your sleep. What was worse was that the faces where shifting. They would be happy and then turn back into ones of pure evil.

The mist turned from a graceful blue to an almost burning red. The mist seemed to rush around the ground like it was the sea. A darker laughter was heard over by that side. I saw a flash of … something … run by. I felt a shiver run up my spine as I heard the laughter again but this time closer. I turned to look, but no one was there.

My heart was racing so hard I could feel the blood being pumped into my veins. I looked back at the other side to see a tree standing directly across from the tree in front of me. The tree was bigger than the other, and much darker – almost black. The branches looked as if they were ripped open in the middle to make a seat for someone. The burning mist seemed to center around it, making the tree burn. Like the actual leaves of the tree where just fire in the shape of leaves.

I saw two eyes look at me from the chair and my eyes got wide. I want to leave. Right now. I don't know what kind of black magic this is, but I know this is not normal. Even for me. I turned to go back when I came in face to face with the most gorgeous blue-gray eyes. But because I wasn't expecting that I shrieked – a very manly shriek – and jumped back. A very beautiful woman rolled her eyes at me.

“Don't mind my brother. He thinks your weak.” She spoke softly. I was still too shocked say anything back. She sighed and evaporated into blue mist before regathering on a branch. She looked at me curiously, “You do talk right?” She asked.

I nodded my head before blushing and opened my mouth, “Yes, I do. You just … surprised me. That's all.” She nodded, thinking more to herself.

“Well, now that you have met your mate, I can come out!” She grinned at me. I raised an eyebrow.

“Come out?” I asked. She picked at her freshly manicured nails, and tossed her chocolate brown hair over her shoulder.

“Your kidding me, right?” She said looking dully at me. I blushed slightly under her intense look. She sighed and swings off the tree branch. Bursting into mist half way in the air, and regathering in front of me, “Ok, since your obviously not smart enough to get this already, I’m Gift. The good side to your little curse.” She said rolling her eyes at the end.

I blinked at her before it slowly registered in my mind. My curse, being mated to a human. Being mated to Alex. I wanted to smile at the thought of Alex. The thought that he was mine. All mine. And I could stop with all this pain. Suddenly, I saw Gift laugh at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Oh, I just think it's so funny that you think all the bad stuff is over! Hey bro, did you hear that one too? Just wait till he deals with you.” She laughed. I heard laughter from the other side of the forest.