Chapter 2

It still hadn't stopped raining.

Billy had driven me to school because he had a meeting with the guidance counselor and principal regarding the scholarship money the school had mentioned providing. If I were to attend Cornell, I would need all of the tuition provisions I could get. Madeline had offered to pay for the entirety of my college expenses, but I refused. I knew the family had more than enough money, but it just didn't seem right to have them pay.

Billy pulled his pick up into the visitors parking lot. "Sorry I didn't tell you when you woke up, but happy birthday."

I smiled. "Thanks dad." I reached to open the truck door, but Billy stopped me with a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Yeah dad?" I asked turning back to face him.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get you anything."

"It's aright really-"

"I'll tell you what, this weekend we'll drive up to Portland and spend the day at the library. How's that sound?"

"Dad, I'm eighteen now. I understand that money's tight at the moment."

Billy rubbed the back of his neck as his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "I'm just trying to save as much as I can for your college. That's all."

"And I appreciate. I don't need a present anyways. You provide me with enough."

"Have a good day at school, Eminem."

"By dad." I said after hugging him.

I pulled he hood of my rain jacket onto my head and stepped out onto the slick asphalt. The heavy rain beat down on my back as I ran for the nearest shelter, a simple covered walkway.

I looked at the time on my phone, 8:57. The first bell rang at 9:00 and first period, Advanced Creative Writing, began at 9:05.

I looked out towards the Senior parking lot looking out for Grayson. I saw his black Mercedes parked in its normal space, but there was no sign of my boy.

"Looking for someone," a voice whispered into my ear from behind me.

I immediately recognized the voice as Grayson's, and I smiled to myself. "I was actually, but he seems to have found me." I said spinning around to face Gray.

His eyes were the brightest shade of butterscotch I'd ever seen on him. The white t-shirt, that was wet by the heavy downpour, clung tightly on his torso. I could faintly see the lines of his chiseled stomach and chest through the thin cotton.

"Happy birthday," Grayson said before kissing me gently. "You're coming to my place for dinner tonight, alright?"

"I'd love to, but you know I have to ask Billy."

"Already done," Grayson bent down and kissed my forehead. "I'll pick you up around six, yeah?"

The bell rang. "Okay." I slid out of Grayson's grasp. "I'll see you in English."

Grayson sent me a wave and walked off in he other direction towards his horticulture class.

"Hey girl," exclaimed Margot. "Happy birthday." She sat down at the desk to the right of me. To my left was a long row of windows the teacher, Mr. Valdez, always left open.

"Thanks. I'm surprised you remembered." I joked.

"Ha ha very funny. Geez, you forget to feed one fish and suddenly you're the forgetful friend." Margot replied.

"Wait so you killed a fish! God Margot, I was thinking of the time I fell asleep in the back of your car and you forgot about me, so I ended up being dragged halfway to Portland."

The tardy bell rang.

Margot leaned over and whispered. "That was one time."

I playfully rolled my eyes.

I looked up to the clock at least a thousand times that day waiting for English class. When it finally arrived, I was elated. I'd be able to see Grayson again.

I walked into Mrs. Burners clad with a broad smile on my face. Just as I walked into the room, Grayson looked up from his desk over to me.

"Hey Babe." He said as I took the seat behind him. "How's your day been so far?"

"Lots and lots of birthday wishes. What about you?"

"This was my five-thousandth school day."

I grimaced jokingly. "Ouch."

"I guess we're both celebrating something."

Grayson and I exchanged no more conversation throughout the rest of class, since we were writing an essay today. As soon as the bell rang though, Grayson's arm was wrapped around my waist and we were walking towards the cafeteria.

"Hey guys, wait up!" I called out while dragging Grayson over to my friends. Margot, Scarlette, Bruce, and Elliot were all about to enter the cafeteria. They all smiled at me and Grayson.

"Happy birthday, Em!" Scarlette exclaimed pulling me into a hug.

"What are you doing to celebrate?" Asked Bruce.

Bruce and Grayson had become much more civil after returning to school from summer vacation. I guess Bruce had been going through an awkward hormone stage when I first met him. Now, he'd done a one-eighty. Bruce and I weren't incredibly close, not compared to me and Margot, but he was still a decent friend.

"Nothing really," I said with a shrug.

"She's coming over to my house," Grayson replied as he wrapped a protective arm around my shoulders.

"Oh I see, going to Grayson's for a little birthday-" I looked to Margot with wide eyes.

"Okay Margot don't embarrass her." Said Scarlette. She opened the door to the cafeteria and we all entered.

"Where's Ethan?" I whispered to Grayson. He leaned his ear down closer to my mouth. "I haven't seen him all day?"

"He's not done with his hunting," Grayson's response seemed a bit rushed, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. I simply nodded my head.

We all took our seats at our normal lunch table in the center of the cafeteria. Elliot had begun a unique conversation about a new job and how his boss was so hot.

"I'm telling you, she's so beautiful. Her name is Evelyn and-"

I choked on my drink. "Evelyn Valdez? Mr. Valdez's sister? Dude, she's one of my good friends. She even looked after me for part of the summer. Geez, Elliot, this just got even more awkward."

Elliot's face flushed a deep red. Everyone at the table was laughing. I looked over to Grayson to see if he was amused by my comment as well, but he was staring down at his phone with a worried look on his face.

"Hey, you alright?" I asked.

Grayson didn't reply. He simply put his phone to his ear and walked right out of the cafeteria to the rainy weather outside.

I made a Tumblr account. Follow me @peculiardolan

QOTD: What is your favorite makeup product? i.e. highlighter, mascara etc.

50+ Votes for the next chapter!