Chapter 5

Grayson's house was quite strange without Nate there. There were no noises coming from the family room where Nate used to sit and watch football games; just an eerie, lingering silence. Madeline hadn't been the same since the death of her husband. Only recently did she finally start laughing again.

"Happy birthday!" Ethan exclaimed as he bounded down the stairs towards me and Grayson. He was wearing his usual smile.

"Thanks." I said as he pulled my into a friendly hug. I laughed as he picked me up and spun me around a few times. "Stop you know I get dizzy easily." I joked.

"Alright alright I'll put you down." Ethan placed me back into Grayson's welcoming embrace.

"Did Gray tell you what he got you yet?" Asked Ethan.

I turned to Gray. "I told him not to get me anything."

"Well it's not just for you. It's for us."

"That's vague."

"And that's all I'm telling you until after dinner." He kissed the top of my head. Ethan smiled to us, and walked of towards the kitchen. Gray and I followed him.

"Whatever you're cooking Madeline smells delicious." I commented as soon as I passed under the threshold that led into the kitchen.

"It's a surprise." The vampire replied in a singsong voice. "But I do hope you're hungry."

"Yes very. Do you need help with anything?"

"Not on your birthday!" Madeline exclaimed turning to me with the first genuine smile I'd seen from her in weeks. "Not that Ethan's much help though." I laughed and so did Grayson.

"You wanna got hangout somewhere?" Grayson asked. His lips grazed the back of my ear.

"Sure."

He smiled, grabbed my hand, and led me out through the back door.

"It's chilly," I commented stepping out into the cold October air. "But at least it's not raining."

Grayson pulled his jacket off and helped me into it. "I want to show you something. It's part of your birthday present."

"What is it?"

"Again, another surprise." Grayson replied with a gentle laugh.

"How far?"

Grayson pointed forward towards the edge of the forest. "There." He said.

As we approached, what he had pointed out came into closer view. A gorgeous rose bush bearing silky blood red roses towered above the surrounding vegetation.

"Did you plant this for me?" I asked before smelling one of the flowers.

There was no response, just a loud swooshing sound and an oversized raven inhabited where Grayson had just been.

The bird let out a squawk and glided up to the top of the bush and bit off the most beautiful of all of the roses with its sharp beak. The raven dropped the flower down at my feet then flew back up into the bush. It flapped its wings until it created a powerful wind that blew the fallen rose petals about the air in a swirl of red. I laughed and danced out into the petals.

I continued to swirl through the wind until it stopped abruptly and there were a pair of lips on mine. I open my eyes suddenly, but noticed it was just Grayson (of course) and continued to kiss him back.

I pulled away from him. "The vision Delphi showed me, I was a bird in it. A dove. And I could fly with you."

Grayson didn't reply with words, but instead smiled widely and kissed me more passionately then ever before.

"I almost asked you today but I wasn't sure if you'd be ready." He said vaguely.

"What?" I questioned.

"Forget it." He said before kissing me once again. Slyly, I reached my hand up to the back of his head and pulled his sweet lips to my own deepening the already passionate kiss.

"I'm telling you right now Emily, you're playing a dangerous game."

I still didn't stop, so he snaked his hands down under my butt and lifted me up. I wrapped my legs around him and he pinned me to a nearby tree.

We only stopped kissing when the rain began to fall in all too heavy sheets.

45+ Votes for the next update (either today or tomorrow)

Sorry I've been off with the updating schedule this week. I've been working out some plot holes!

QOTD: What is your favorite TV show?