Chapter 18

The world around me fell still and icy, almost as if a ghostly cloud had blown all the way down from the arctic onto the small town of Pines Maine. There was a strange force that now had hold of the land and I know even Billy, no matter how oblivious, could feel it too.

"Em-" my Dad began with eyebrows pulled together and a hand rubbing at the base of his neck. I could tell he was almost in tears; afraid with labored breaths and darting glances.

I reached for my Dad and hugged him tightly. I leaned up on tiptoes to his ear to whisper "I'll explain. Just promise not to think I'm crazy."

I pulled out of the Dad's embrace and shifted my attention to Grayson and his family. "Could everyone but Gray please give me a minute? I think Billy is owed an explanation."

Slowly and carefully, Madeline and Ethan backed out of the house into the front lawn and towards the black Mercedes parked in the driveway. I could tell they were all very anxious to leave, especially Grayson with his rapid twitching and tapping foot.

"Emily," Billy began. I looked back to see his pitiful and pained expression. "I need to know what's going on here. If someone is after you, we need to try to go to the police again. Running away isn't going to-"

"Running away is what's needed to be done." Grayson replied talking hold of my pale wrist while easing me towards the open front door.

"Give me a minute." I muttered to the impatient vampire. His grip on my wrist eased up a bit, but not enough for me to shift my body closer to my father.

"There's something going on here," I began with batted breath, "that science cannot explain. You see Gray and his family-"

"Emily..." Grayson warned. In his shock, I snatched my wrist from his grip.

"They're not like you and me. They're different. They have...powers."

I hesitantly looked up to meet Grayson's gaze. His countenance resembled a look of confusion and anxiety. Anxious for both what I was telling my Dad and for the oncoming enemies.

"Grayson. Show him."

"Show me what? Emily what the hell is going on here."

Grayson stared down at me and I sent him a reassuring nod. Lifting his head and his arms, the vampire transformed in mid air into a cloud of inky blackness before sprouting wings and a tail. There, were Grayson once stood, was the oversized raven I was very much accustomed to. Billy on the other hand fell backwards onto the hard wood floor with such a force I was sure a vampire couldn't push that hard.

"Dad?" I asked wearily as Grayson transformed back into his human form.

Billy was very clearly afraid and at a complete loss for words. I reached for his hand and rubbed soothing circles onto his knuckles.

"I know this is a shock, and I hate to leave you like this, but now I have to go." I kissed Dad on the forehead. "I'll call you as soon as it's safe. I love you, you will be safe here."

Just as the final word left my mouth, Ethan flashed beneath the front door post breathing heavily and face flushed. "I just caught sent of them. We need to go, now. For real."

At that, Grayson lifted me from my Dad with such force that both my knees let out a pop. I grimaced, but quickly altered my expression when I made eye contact with my shocked father. I sent him a reassuring glance before he disappeared behind Grayson's brick wall-body.