Chapter 17

A month passed slowly, creeping by in sudden jerks and the continuance of the same mundane routine.

The wet season had begun causing Pines to be cast under a seemingly eternal blanket of dark thunder clouds. The river had swelled and covered up much of the main road, so school had been delayed for the next two days or until all of the excess runoff could be vacuumed away.

I laid on my bed curled up on my side reading Jane Eyre. The rain battered my window. If the glass had been flesh, it would surely have been bruised by the exuberance of the water droplets.

Barely audible over the torrential downpour was Billy's television program. He was watching some old Western and occasionally, I could hear the clogging noise of running horses and the 'pop' of a revolver.

I snuggled up under the duvet stealing its coveted warmth. The aromatic smell of the rain and pine had diffused through the window and into my room; the scent now strong enough to cause a dull lull of pain in my head.

The thunder grew louder and louder still until eventually I could no longer hear anything except a faint ringing in my ears.

Another flash of lightning and with it the suspense of waiting for the next roll of thunder. The air stiffened for a moment.

Then all at once came a bellowing cry of thunder simultaneous with the sound of something very heavy falling downstairs.

"Dad!" I cried out before frantically tossing the covers off my chilled form and onto the equally cold floor. I raced down the stairs, hair flying wildly out behind me.

I made it to the base of the stairs to see the front door knocked completely off its hinges. I was overcome but an overwhelming sense of fear even when I caught sight of Grayson, the rest of his family, and the group from headquarters. Adrian had his arms wrapped around Billy who seemed far too tense to react.

"Emily we need to go," Grayson asserted before roughly taking hold of my arm. "They're here."

My eyes widened. "We-we were supposed to have until December I don't-Grayson-" I put my body flush against his.

"Em, what's going on?" Billy questioned aloud.

I broke free of Grayson's grip and walked over to him. "You wouldn't understand. Just trust that whatever is happening, these people will keep us safe."

Dad looked me deeply in the eyes. "I need something more than that."

I knew I would have to lie.

"The man who tried to kill me, he's back. The police refuse to do anything so we need to leave."

Good, no mention of vampires.