Chapter 15

Grayson's Perspective

I gave Emily a gentle kiss on both the forward and lips before she was taken into the interrogation room. The Portland Police Department was very strict with how they treated their witnesses, so I wasn't allowed in the room with her. It was daunting, horrifying even. I was tempted to burst through the doors that separated the two of us, scoop her into my arms, and carry her far away from this place.

Even Ethan didn't understand this, but I felt physical pain when I was away from Emily for too long. When he was away from Ambria, he was saddened of course, but never complained to me of the same burning fire that pumped through my veins when I was away from my girl.

I shook my head and stood up. I knew I had a bit of time before Emily would be finishing her questioning. I had just enough time to do what needed to be done.

I walked out of the PPD speedily, stealthily ducking past on comers. I'd convinced myself that I had to buy it today, for I may never get such another chance so convenient as the one I had now.

Just a block away from the police station was my destined location. It was a small and quaint place, but charming nonetheless.

The Jewelry Gallery

I sighed, and opened the glass door.

Inside was a small woman seated behind a large jewelry case. She was older, but not quite old enough to have any older-than-toddler grandchildren. The woman smiled at me.

"Hello," she began. "How may I help you?"

Emily's Perspective

The two detectives assigned to my case were both young and female. One had a mess of curly blonde hair and a dainty nose while the other was tan, curvy, and black haired. There was something about the two women that was rather comforting. They made it easy for me to tell my story (even if I couldn't tell them the whole truth).

"I went to see the psychic and next thing I knew," I let out a sniffle, "I was being dragged down some staircase buried in the earth."

The blonde, Detective O'Leary, looked to her colleague, Vanderbilt, with a distressed look on her face.

"I just...I can't remember much. It's too painful."

Vanderbilt reached a hand across the table to rub my shoulder. "It's okay. We know it's a lot. Just try to remember."

"I can't."

Grayson's Perspective

"Hi. I'm interested in looking at your rings."

"Of course." The woman got off her stool and walked over to the farthest case from the door. I followed her over.

I peered down into the illuminated glass case and admired all of the sparkling diamonds and precious metals inclosed within. Everything was beautiful, but would they be enough for her?

As the clerk was putting on some silk gloves, she inquired further. "What kind of ring are you looking for today? Promise, anniversary, birthday, graduation?"

Emily's Perspective

"We promise," O'Leary began, "nothing bad will come of you telling us what you saw."

I still didn't budge. I couldn't keep it together.

"If it makes you feel any better, O'Leary and I can set up a protection protocol until the perp is in our custody. How does that sound?"

I pondered for a moment with my head still in my hands. There had to be some part of me that still remembered what the vampire had looked like. I had to remember, for the sake of Evelyn.

There was no way to conceal the shakiness of my voice, but yet I told my truth.

Grayson's Perspective

"I'm looking for," I began with a shaky voice, "an engagement ring."

The woman's smile grew even wider. "Oh how wonderful! So, who's the lucky girl?"

Now it was my turn to be excited.

"Her name is Emily." I couldn't help but to smile. "There is nothing to compare her too, nothing, not even the most glorious sunrise. Everything and everyone is pales in comparison. She's smart too, really smart. I bet you she could name every single Roman emperor and be able to tell you about the economy in France. I love her...so much."

I hadn't remembered I was standing in the middle of a jewelry store until I finally snapped out of my gaze and met eyes with the clerk. While I was in my daze, she had already taken out a row of rings from the case.

"Sir, what's your price range?"

"Doesn't matter," I replied quickly. Even if I were the poorest man on earth, I would somehow find a way to buy my Emily the perfect ring.

"Well then, may I interest you in this?"

Before my very eyes was the perfect ring. How the clerk managed to be so accurate I had no idea. Even as a man, I could concede that the ring was gorgeous.

A spherical, medium sized diamond sat wrapped in silver. The silver mimicked the looks of vines so at first, it appeared that the diamond was a flower wrapped in ivy. Down around the band were small stones of obsidian, the color that which matched me as a raven.

Everything about the ring was perfect.

"This is the one," I said, "I can feel it."

There was a moment of silence where I simply stared at the precious metals and stones in my hand.

"When are you thinking of proposing?" The woman asked.

"Soon."

60+ votes for the next chapter