Chapter 11

The drive to Portland was long. Billy and I didn't say much to one another. We had no need to really. The silence was comforting and gave me much time to think.

I pondered on the idea of where Grayson and I would be spending our Christmas break. I had those travel vouchers Grayson had given me for my birthday. There were a lot of places I could go. Perhaps Hawaii or Italy, London or Paris. I didn't think it mattered much where we were going so long as I had Grayson.

I knew I'd have to run the idea of travel by Billy before I could go anywhere with my boyfriend. He was strict, but not in the way where he would yell at me if I made a mistake. Instead, he would display his disappointment through a series of disapproving looks and, worst of all, the silent treatment. To me, this was much worse than any other form of punishment.

We had just turned into the interstate exit for Portland when I said my first words of the entire trip. "So for winter break-"

"Yeah what about it?" Billy interrupted, concern lacing his voice.

"Well I thought-Grayson got us these travel vouchers for my birthday and-"

"You want me to let you go with him. On a trip. Just the two of you."

"Yeah. I mean, if you're comfortable with it."

"I'm not comfortable with it." Billy began. I sulked. "But I suppose I can't stop you. You're eighteen, and I believe you'll be safe."

Safe could certainly have a double meaning.

I cleared my throat."Yeah. Thanks Dad."

We found the nearest pumpkin patch and turned in. It was a rather large affair with a ginormous Ferris wheel looming over the center of the wide open field the festival was hosted in.

"I feel like I'm a kid again," I joked turning to Billy. He had a large smile spread over his full lips and fair face. "You as excited as I am?"

Billy didn't reply with words. instead, his smile simply spread farther up his cheeks.

He parked the car and we both headed towards the front gates. The festival was rather crowded, but I didn't really mind that much. It was just as if I were back in Charleston when I was a young girl, patience fleeting as we neared the entry gates.

Now that I was eighteen, I was much more relaxed. The bearded man in the ticket booth wrapped a yellow bracelet around Billy and I's wrists.

It may've seemed lame to those around me, but I had no problem walking around the fair with Billy. He was my dad after all, thus rendering him a very important figure in my life. I valued a day with him more than anytime I could spend with friends. Grayson was the only exception.

Billy and I picked out a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch, painted it, and entered it into the pumpkin painting contest. Of course, the both of us lost to some ten year old artist genius, but that didn't really matter. After all, we both had our green participation ribbons.

"The last time we did something like this, your mom was still around." Said Billy. I halted, stunned by his words. He rarely ever brought up mom. "Do you miss her?"

I shrugged. "I miss what she could've been, not who she was."

"She hadn't always been bad you know."

"I figured you married her for a reason."

"I did. I loved her once."

I stayed silent, reminiscing to myself. The only person other than dad who knew anything about my mom was Grayson. I had told him about her the day he revealed himself as a vampire. He had healed much of my ails with a simple kiss. This had kept me from thinking about her too much.

"Hey what's this?" Billy questioned knocking me out of my gaze.

I looked upwards, following Billy's gaze. There was a rather large flashing sign that read Free Psychic Readings. I looked over to Billy and he looked to me.

"You wanna try it?" He asked.

"I thought you didn't believe in this kind of stuff?"

"I don't. But it's free."

I raised an eyebrow. We both walked into the psychic's tent.

The first room was rather small, separated by a curtain from what I assumed to be the main area. The place was empty, except for one young woman sitting behind a wooden desk.

"Hi I'm Emily," I began. "I'm here for the free reading."

The young woman looked up. When we made eyecontact, her countenance changed drastically. She now appeared much more frantic.

"Oh yes!" She began as she shuffled some papers about her desk. "Delphi will see you now."

Delphi. Where had I heard that name before. It was far too familiar.

Before I could ponder upon the name further, the young woman at the desk opened the curtain partition and gestured for me to walk through it. I turned back to Billy and sent him a false-frantic look. He sent me a grimace before smiling.

As soon as the curtain closed, I was encased in darkness. I could see nothing, nor feel, nor think or hear. I felt disconnected from everything. Then, just as a sudden the panic had kicked in, I felt a wave of relaxation wash over me. Then, the lights turned on.

Sitting in the middle of the room was Delphi. My eyes widened in shock as I recognized her as the psychic vampire from Headquarters. The same vampire who had revealed to me the choices I must make for my future.

"It's good to see you again, Emily. Please sit." Delphi said as she gestured towards the ground in front of her. I obliged without second thought.

"What-how-how did you know I'd be here?"

"How could I not know?"

"Why are you here?" I questioned. "I mean, I thought everyone at Headquarters had been killed."

"Not me. And not your friends."

Delphi reached for my hand, but I snatched it back quickly.

"Does Grayson know you're here. You know, I don't feel very comfortable knowing you followed me here."

"Trust me. Let me show you why I am here."

She reached for my hand again, but this time I didn't pull away.

I closed my eyes and relaxed into her touch.

There it was again, the all too familiar feeling of loosing my touch with my body. I could feel my conscious mind leave my body and venture out to some other plane of existence.

A pinprick of light spreading outwards to my entire field of vision. Everything became clear shortly after, and I saw me and Grayson running about a field.

We seemed happy at first. We kissed, and he laid me down onto the grass. Grayson hovered over me. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

There was a loud screech, altering both Gray and I unto our feet. We both looked out as far as we could. There was some movement in the grass.

A monstrous figure then appeared yielding a horrific bloodied face.

"Emily, run!" Grayson exclaimed.

The me in the vision sped off quickly, looking back after every few steps to check back on Grayson. He fought the figure tooth and nail before it was completely turned to ash. He then looked up to me with an exasperated look on his face.

Then it all changed.

"Behind you!" He screamed. The vision turned back.

My mind returned to my body. I opened my eyes and let out a gasp.

"Did I just-what happened to me there?"

Delphi sent me an apologetic look. "I'm not sure. But whatever it was, it isn't good."

50+ votes for the next chapter. The next installment will be super fluffy!