Chapter 13

I stayed quiet for the entire drive back home. In such a cacophony of emotions, I wasn't really sure how to feel. Were the gentle tears gliding down my cheeks for Evelyn? Billy? Myself even? I didn't know. And what was this painful pang in my chest?

"We have to at least stay for the funeral." I croaked. Grayson reached his hand over to mine and gently caressed my palm.

"Yeah we should."

"And maybe at least until Christmas?" I commented; quietly though.

"A whole two months?" Grayson scoffed. "They'll be back. Soon too."

I sighed. "We'll have to come up with something. Listen I know Billy said I needed to be home right away, but maybe I can convince him to let me see Madeline and the others. We can all discuss a protection detail."

"I don't think that's such a good idea-"

"Well this is my life you know. It's hard to just abandon school and everyone I know."

Grayson slammed on the brakes. I looked out through the rear window and, thankfully, saw no other cars behind us.

"You are my life. And I won't loose you." Grayson leaned forward to try and kiss me. I retracted quickly, but he stayed leaning towards me.

"Just until Christmas. Please."

He ran a hand down along the side of my face and neck. I froze in place, savoring his icy touch.

"Fine." He said plainly. "But in this time, I need to be with you always. And if there's even so much as a whisper of an enemy, we're leaving immediately."

I smiled and kissed him gently. "I agree."

And we returned to that heavy silence.

When we got to my house, I went straight up to my room and laid on the bed. Grayson sped across Pines to leave his car back at his place before flying back over here as the Raven. Even for those fifteen minutes that he was away from me, Grayson didn't trust that I would be safe. So, outside of my window sat a dozen or so hawks, talons sharp and ready to attack any combatant on comers.

Just as the Raven perched itself on my windowsill, Billy was pulling into the driveway. I didn't move at all, and instead remained wrapped in my comforter, mummified by both it and my blanket.

I heard the garage door close and the clanging of keys onto the counter. Then, movement coming up the stairs.

I heard Billy stop and exhale a lengthy breath. He was happy to see me alive. I secretly hoped that my mere presence would be enough to pacify him, but I knew he'd want to talk.

"Hey Em," he began, "did you want me to drive you down to Portland tomorrow? I can cancel my tour if you want."

"No," I replied quickly through my tears. I rolled over to face him, "Grayson will take me."

"Are you sure about that? It's really no problem."

"I know."

Billy sighed. He paused for a moment, and began to walk away before retracing his steps back under the threshold of my room. "I can make you an appointment to see somebody. I dealt with this sort of thing before, and professional help works."

"I'm fine," I retorted quickly.

"Em I-"

"Go!" My voice cracked and trailed off. "Please."

Billy walked towards me, kissed my sweat laden forehead, noted that "the funeral is Wednesday night", and stalked back down the stairs.

I froze for a moment wondering if I should even let Grayson in. I decided to.