Chapter 16

I don't quite remember how the rest of the investigation went. I had disassociated my conscience mind from the whole ordeal.

I met Grayson in the lobby of the precinct where he offered me the most comforting hug of my life. He kissed the top of my head gently before whispering in my ear that "I'd made it through" and that he was "so proud of me."

We left the precinct shortly there after. I had had a few more pieces of paperwork to fill out. On almost every single one of them, my pen written signature had been grossly smeared by the tears sneaking out of my eyes onto the rough card stock paper.

"Do you want lunch?" Grayson asked once we got about a block away from he precinct.

"No." I said blatantly. Out of the corner of my eye, I say him send me a worried glance. I was thankful that he questioned me no further on the rest of the way home.

Billy wasn't waiting for me when I got there. I knew he wouldn't be. He had a fishing tour to guide and wouldn't be home until early tomorrow.

Once we passed under the threshold, Grayson lifted me up and carried me up the creaky wooden stairs to my bedroom. He tucked me beneath the covers, and then laid beside me on top of them.

I placed my head on his chest, and his hand ran through my hair.

"Today was one of the worst days of my life." I began in a creaky voice. "This was too much to handle Gray."

He sighed and turned so he could face me. "I know. I understand how you're feeling. When Nate died, I felt like the entire world was caving in on me. You're the one who kept me sane."

I smiled at Grayson, and he smiled back. We both leaned in for a kiss simultaneously, but were interrupted my a loud thud on the window. I just about jumped out of my skin, but Grayson placed his soft hand over mine.

"Come to the window. I had one of my birds bring you a surprise."

Grayson guided me off the bed, and I followed closely behind to the large window where the thud had just arisen from.

On the other side of the glass was a large hawk. Clutched in his beak was a small satchel. I looked up to Grayson and he smirked back at me before guiding my hand to unlatch the window and take the gift from the predatory bird.

Satchel in hand, I went to sit back on he bed while Grayson closed the window. Using his vampire speed, he rushed back over to sit behind me.

"Open it." He said before kissing my temple.

So I did.

Inside the small satchel was a sleek white faux snake skin box. I opened it, and inside was one of the most immaculate pieces of jewelry I had ever seen.

It was a small, golden locket encrusted with emeralds. The chain was dainty and small and felt very cold against my skin. The low temperature of the metal reminded me so much so of Grayson.

Inside the locket was a picture of Gray and I from prom and on the other side, a baby picture of him.

"How did you- what in the world? You can't throw something like this on me Gray." I said with a laugh.

"What do you mean, Em?"

"I mean, I can't believe you have a baby picture of yourself and you've never showed it to me before."

Grayson let out a laugh, and I followed suit.

"You have got to be the cutest baby to have ever existed.

"Flip it over," my boy whispered in my ear.

On the other side of the locket, the word Pax was inscribed.

"Peace?" I questioned.

Grayson nodded. "It's a reminder that everything will be okay."

I leaned up and kissed him.

But nothing would be okay. Not for a long time.

Poll: Should Grayson and Emily have a child?

30+ votes for the next chapter