Chapter 10

The next morning I woke to the sun streaming through my window. It appeared to be a pleasant day, but I knew that the sun would prevent me from seeing Grayson out in public. I shrugged and huffed, but still considered myself lucky that I at least had Grayson with my the night before.

I walked down stairs slowly. I could perhaps invite Ambria and Isla to go shopping with me. After all, their New Age skin would be unaffected by the sun's eager rays. Then I realized that to be a bad idea, since they likely wanted to remain very well concealed from the evil Old Age community.

Billy was downstairs already awake. I was surprised by this, since he usually slept in this obligating me to cooking breakfast.

"Happy Birthday, Em." He said turning away from the stove and smiling at me.

"It's been my birthday for the past two days," I began. "That's enough celebrating for me."

Billy smiled. "What are you up to today?"

"Oh nothing. Homework probably. I've got a Wuthering Heights essay due next week, and I might as well start on that now."

Billy nodded. I turned to the pantry and took out a Poptart.

"You know," I said with a mouthful of the treat, "we should do something today, just you and me."

Billy turned from his magazine and looked up at me, a pleasant expression on his face.

"What did you have in mind?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know, whatever you want I guess."

"Well geez I wish it wasn't such late notice or else we could've went out to one of those little pumpkin patches in Portland."

I smiled to myself. Dad absolutely hated planning things last minute (I trait I myself inherited as well). But I'd gotten over my distaste for spontaneity after meeting Grayson. There's not much room for careful planning when your boyfriend is a vampire.

"C'mon we can still go. It'd be like I was a kid again. Remember when that one bouncy house deflated while I was on it at the fall festival back in Charleston?"

Billy let out a roll of burly laughter. "How could I forget."

"Why don't you shave and we'll go on and head out."

At my words, Billy's fingers ran up to his chin to feel the five o'clock shadow that was currently growing in.

I went back upstairs to change into some day clothes before heading to the bathroom to brush my teeth and put in my makeup. The sound of Billy's automatic razor buzzed up through the vent.

It was mornings like these I would miss when I was to become like him.

A vampire. Just like Grayson.

I know it's short, but I just wanted to get this out there

50+ votes for the next chapter