The Understatement of the Century

"He's driving me nuts," Claire said.

"Of what? Or should I say of whom?"

Claire looked at Jane and made a "Ha-ha" look.

"You know what I mean."

"If you are referring to you know who, then yes, I know exactly what you mean. But you saying that he drives you crazy is the biggest understatement there is."

"What?"

"He's been driving you nuts ever since the two of you met. You expressing your disdain on that fact isn't really news."

"Come on."

"Claire, my dear. I will say this to you, and I say this with love. Sean has been confusing since day one. He has been confusing me and Sam too. Don't you think it's about time you stop letting him confuse you?"

"I'm not letting him do that!"

"Really?"

"I'm not!"

"Yeah right, you're not. Like I said, an understatement."

"I am not!"

"Fine, you're not."

"I'm not."

________________________________________________________________________________

A scene from a year ago.

"Why is there coffee here? Sam's not joining us? And I know you do not drink coffee."

"Oh, it's for....."

"Hey guys!"

"Sean?"

"Yep. Hey, this coffee. Is this for me?"

"Seems like it," Jane said.

"Ahehehe. Well, I figured he'd want one," Claire said blushing.

"Did you now?"

"Well," Sean said as he put his arm around Claire. "I'm special to her like that."

"Well now. That is the understatement of the century," Jane commented.

_________________________________________________________________________

"Honey," Jane said as she held Claire's hand. "It's about time you not let him drive you nuts. Don't you think?

Claire was silent. Deep in thought. With everything that's been going on, why is she still letting Sean get to her the way he does? Jane's right. It's about time. But why is he still affecting her?

"Besides!", Jane said interrupting Claire's thoughts. "Kyle's making your life colorful. Why waste your time on Sean?"

"What? Kyle?"

"Really dude? His intentions couldn't be any more obvious!" What's wrong with you?"

"I agree! What is the matter with that human girl?" Tweek!

Suddenly, Claire's phone started vibrating.

"Oh, speak of the.... Jane! What are you doing? Give me back my phone!"

"Hello? Oh yes, Kyle, this is Claire's phone," Jane said as she tried to keep Claire from taking back her phone.

"Give me back my phone!"

"Oh she gave me her phone just in case someone important calls and she's still in the ladies' room. Yes yes, I'll give her your message. Oh you were just passing by the theater and you suddenly thought of Claire and thought she might want to come with you? Oh she would definitely want to. Okay, okay. I will tell her. Bye now. Here's your phone back."

"What have you done?"

"You have just agreed to go on a date with Kyle."

"I really like this Jane person. She makes our job easy, does she not??

"Oh yes, yes, definitely. She is such a big help."

"We must reward her somehow."