The Black and Blue and Sometimes Red Just Keep Coming

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

Kyle and Claire were sitting on the steps of her apartment. Kyle wanted to hold her hand but was too embarrassed and too unsure to do so.

"Can you blame me?"

"For?"

"For falling for you? If there is such a thing as "falling" for someone."

Claire smiled at him and caressed his cheek.

"You're the only one who's ever been able to do that. Touch my cheek that way. I don't like being touched like that. Not even my mother can do that."

"Okay? I feel, honored?"

"Sorry. I know I can be too honest. I have no filter. Low EQ remember. Still working on it."

Claire smiled even more and pulled him closer so their foreheads would touch.

"I'm getting to like this. This gesture of affection."

He pulled away just a little so he could look at her.

"You are the only one who gets me. Who can put up with my quirks. You are patient and you've been very understanding. I tend to push people away, and I wouldn't care. But if I pushed you away because of being who I am, I'll be lost."

"Oh Kyle. I don't know what to say."

This time Kyle caressed her cheek.

"I never really saw myself as this. Being in this situation. I'm not exactly pretty enough for anyone to be this interes...."

She was cut off. Kyle held her face and kissed her.

"Don't ever say that you are not interesting enough or pretty enough. You are beautiful. Inside and out. Sean thought so. Sam too."

Claire was at a loss for words. She held Kyle's left hand and felt the back of it.

"What the? What happened to your hand? Why is it so much redder than before? It was red before but now it's redder and much much more swollen! What did you do? What did you hit? Who did you hit?"

Kyle took his hand from her and tried to hide it.

"Kyle?"

"He had it coming. He lied to me. I am his friend and he lied to me."

"Great! Now there's three of you who are black and blue. Oh yes, red as well."

"Bubbles?"

"Really, Kyle? Really?"

"Sorry."