The Talk

"Now you see?"

They were quiet. The Big Guy was gentle. He did not even use His big booming voice.

"There is a reason why I only allow you to see when I give you permission to help people out. To help them connect. Nudge them a little. Assist in finding their soul mates. That reason is because we still must let things unfold on their own without any tweeking."

"We are truly sorry."

"We only wanted to help. Specially her. That Claire person is...."

"Claire. Just call her Claire."

"Forgive me. Claire is so sad for so long and have been so hard on herself. We only wanted to cheer her up."

"Yes, to help her find her soul mate finally."

"She would have eventually. Without your tweeking."

"But, Sir! Please do understand. Look at this!"

A picture of Cupid was shown.

The Big Guy could not help but giggle.

"See? Even you laugh at it. I have been reduced to being portrayed as an infant in diapers carrying a bow and arrows. Worse! I have such tiny wings! And they blame me when their romances fail. I'm not the one who make the wrong choices! I only help guide them and what they do next is completely up to them!"

"I know my child. I do understand. Humans have fragile hearts. They want to blame the wrong that happen in their lives on everything except themselves. And yes, including blaming you who is portrayed as a nearsighted arrow-wielding baby in diapers."

"But that does not excuse what we did. We see that now."

"Sometimes you forget that I am all knowing and all seeing. You probably thought I actually gave you permission to do all that tweeking, didn't you?"

The two did not answer. Very very embarrassed.

"You see, if you had stopped early or if you had not tweeked, things will be just as they should be. Minus the violence of course."

"Really?"

"Sam was planning to admit everything during the summer. Kyle was not supposed to be coming in as the new professor in the university this semester but because you tweeked it a little, Ned suddenly decided to resign and Kyle decided to take advantage of it. Sam was all ready to tell the truth but when Kyle told him that he'll be teaching already this semester and that he is very much interested in Claire, Sam had to take a back seat. He had his reasons but he decided to let Kyle go ahead and pursue Claire. He would be happy knowing that his friend will be happy with Kyle. He knew Claire will be able to handle Kyle."

"But that would be unfair for him!"

"Yes, but that would be his choice to make. He will learn to live with it and be happy with it. Besides, the human brain can only handle one truth at a time. Imagine if Claire suddenly found out that Sam was not gay and he's in love with her, then Kyle started pursuing her, then Sean suddenly admitted to everything? She'll fall apart!"

"Oh...."

"If you two had not intervened, Sam would have told her everything last summer. They would have started something. Sean would have backed off because he trusted Sam and Kyle, with his very challenging EQ would still have pursued Claire but because he is friends with Sam, there would be no fighting. No black eyes. No bruises. No cut lips. It would have been a "may the best man win", situation, and Claire would not have to be caught in the middle of all this."

"But, Sir. You knew this would happen, right?"

"Yes. Because you tweeked."

"Why did you not stop it?'

"Humans need to choose. They will always be given the chance to choose to do the right thing but you can never force them to do it. No matter how much you tweek everything."

There was silence. The two were really embarrassed, and strangely enlightened as well.

"Besides. You two needed to be taught a lesson. I could have stopped you at any time, but then again, where's the fun in that?"

"Bubbles!" exclaimed the being that came with the Big Guy.