Where Do The Bubbles Go From Here?

Sean stepped out of his girlfriend's car. They were talking. Then they were not. Then Sean stepped out, and she drove off.

Sean wasn't sure what to do but he had to find Claire.

He started walking not sure where exactly he's heading but somehow he found himself by the pond where Claire was.

That pond was her favorite spot when she wanted to be alone. When she wanted to think. Sean wasn't sure whether or not to approach her, but he needed to see her. Unsure of himself, he finally found the courage to walk up to where she was standing.

"BUBBLES!!!!!!!" Claire screamed until she fell on the ground and just sat there.

"Are the bubbles helping in any way?"

"I hate you."

"I know."

"Three years, Sean."

"I know. I'm so sor....."

"You broke me. Three years. Three years!" Claire said again and again as the tears started to fall. She didn't want to cry. The last thing she wanted, needed was for Sean to see her cry, but she couldn't help it. She couldn't stop the tears from coming.

Sean sat down beside her and held her tight. He's hugged her before but this one was different. This hug meant more. He held her tight hoping to stop her from shaking as she continued to sob. She was crying and she was so weak in his arms. Soon tears were coming out of Sean too.

Claire wanted to hurt him. She wanted to lash out at him. She wanted him to feel physically the three years of emotional torture she went through because of him. Three years of always asking herself if it was all just her. Three years of confusion. Three years of coping and living with the thought that they can never be more than friends and yet be so close. She hated him for putting her through that. But she was too weak to even move. All she could do was cry. Cries that seem to see no end.

The last time she cried like this was a year ago. But he never saw that. Now here he was. Witnessing it all. Her weakness. Her being so fragile. Still she cried.

Sam was alone now. Jane got a call and left in a hurry. He was about to go back inside his house when he saw three people walking toward him. It was Sean, Jane and Claire.

Sean and Jane left Claire with Sam. When they were gone, Sam asked Claire to go inside the house with him but Claire insisted they just stay where they were.

Both were now sitting and Sam was holding Claire.

"I'm so sorry for all this, C."

"Why? You had nothing to do with this?"

"I could have stopped it."

"There was no way you could have known."

"Oh I did know. But stupid me to ever think I could trust those two to do the right thing."

Claire straightened up and looked at Sam.

"You're not at fault here, Sam."

"Somehow I feel that I am."

Claire looked at him not sure how to ask the questions.

"I'm not gay Claire. Never was. I only let that rumor spread on its own cause it helped me be off limits."

"Off limits?" Claire managed to say amidst the confusion and shock.

"You've heard of that professor that got fired because of what he did with a student?"

"That's why you pretended to be gay? So no student will come on to you? I guess I can see your point but what does that have to do with what just happened to me? Why do you say that this is somehow your fault?"