Chapter 10

I was sitting alone in his — our — room, infront of the mirror. I was brushing my hair and recollecting the incidents of the day.

     Mia hiding something from me, the vampire attacking me, the conversation with Xander, and lastly, the kiss. It was something that was always in my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

     Did I like it? Or did I hate it? To be honest, I was somewhere in between. I was sure that I hated Xander, but his kiss was heart-melting. I sighed loudly.

     "What am I going to do now? I'm stuck here." I was sure as hell that he kissed me to prove his point.

     There was a soft knock on my door.

"Come in", I said, getting up from the chair.

     The door clicked open, revealing Mia as she stood there, by the door, holding a tray of food and a silk night gown. My stomach grumbled and I laughed softly, clearly embarassed.

     Mia smiled sadly and looked down. Her expression was of guilt.

     "What's wrong Mia? Come in. Why are you standing over there?", I asked her.

     "I am really sorry, Princess Eva", she continued. "I should have behaved myself back then. Please forgive me if you can."

     I walked over to her and took the tray and set it aside on the table and turned to her.

     "Dear Mia", I said. "Please don't be sorry because I should be the one to apologize as I am the one who offended you. I understand now, I shouldn't have interfered in your privacy. I'm sorry."

     She gave me a smile which brightened up her face, but didn't quite reach her eyes. "No Princess. Don't be sorry for I am just a maid."

     "No! You are my friend", I said, playfully glaring at her. She giggled. "Now come in already Mia!"

     She finally came in and handed me the night gown.

     "Your dresses will arrive by tomorrow morning, My Lady."

     "Oh, thank God! Now I can die in peace", I said, laughing.

     She looked horrified. "No! No dying."

     I smiled cheekily and said, "Calm down girl, I'm just joking."

     Mia smiled at me and then turned serious all of a sudden. "There is something I need to tell you, Princess."

     "I'm all ears, Mia. Go on."

     "First eat your dinner. Then we'll talk, My Lady", she went on, "the Prince made it my responsibility to take care of you, afterall."

     The mention of Prince, Xander made my stomach turn uneasily as the kiss again flashed in my head.

     "Oh, okay then, I guess."

     Mia made me eat all the food and I ate it willingly too, savouring the taste. The food here was too delicious and - just like all other things here — perfect.

     "Now say what you were about to say, Mia", I said, reminding her about the conversation earlier,, in case she forgot.

     "Oh that", she said, turning serious again. I was getting curious and dying from the suspense she was creating. It better be something good.

     "My Lady", she said in a low voice. "Prince Xander is not a human."
     Oh this? I already knew this.

     "I already know this, Mia", I said and looked at her.

     "You do?" I nodded.

     "Remember, I asked you in morning if you were a human or not? I already knew Xander is a vampire."

     Realization dawned upon her. "Did the Prince himself say that, my lady?"

     I shook my head. "No." Actually I was surprised that she didn't notice my bite mark, yet. I pushed my hair aside and showed her the mark. It was still clearly visible and hurting, though the pain decreased.

     She looked at it for long and then said, "He did that?"

     I nodded and said "Yes".

     "I thought you don't know about this, Princess. The Prince, he usually hates himself for becoming like this", she went on. "I thought he won't want you to know, so, I ran away in the morning." She looked at her own wrist. "I was hiding this."

     "He... became like this?", I asked, now interested.

     "Yes, Princess. He wasn't like this", she said. "He used to be a sweet Prince earlier, when he was younger. Though, I never saw him like that, my mother used to tell me stories." She became silent.

     "Oh", I said. "Why did he change, Mia?"

     "I am sorry, Princess. I don't know the answer to that."

     "Oh", I said again.
     He used to be different? Good? It was hard to imagine that he could be sweet
He was so arrogant and egoistic.

     "But, your mark?", I asked Mia, remembering about it. "Who did that?"

     "Atticus did it."

     "Atticus?", I asked. Who was Atticus now?

     She nodded and said, "He is the vampire who drinks from me, Princess. But, he's cruel and rude."
     Oh well, that sounded like Xander too!

     "You have a similar bite mark, like mine", I said looking down at her wrist.

     "She smiled sadly. "Your, my lady, was a bite of love. Whereas, mine, was out of pure hunger and lust", she continued, "no one bites in the neck to drink, Princess." She looked away.

     "Why Mia?" I was confused about what she meant.

     "It is always a sign of love. Prince Xander loves you, Princess Eva." She smiled genuinely. "He always did."

     "But, he never shows it, Mia! He's always so rude and arrogant and egoistic. He always acts like a jerk. He always pushes his will on me!", I replied, totally frustrated remembering about the forcefull kiss.

     "He's a tough man, my lady", she said, smiling.

     The clock struck 11p.m.

     "It's getting late. You should sleep, Princess", Mia said.

     "Good night, Mia."

     "Good night, Princess Eva."

     She left the room and closed the door behind her.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeaaay! Double update ;)

Is Xander really a tough man? Or is it just a persona? What do you think dearies?

Let me know :)

Love you guys...
~Rose~