Chapter 16

The eyes were beautiful, enchanting, sparkling and so alive, like the flames, yet they held mystery, concern and adoration.

     I shifted my glance from the guy's eyes to his whole face and I was left speechless. He was so beautiful — like a perfect piece of art — like an artist with a great talent sculpted him. High cheek bones, a slender nose, perfect red lips and a chiseled jaw. How can someone so perfect be alive?

     I realised I was gawking him and looked down in embarrassment, heat reaching my cheek, turning them red.
     Eva, stop ogling this stranger, said my conscious side.
     But he's so perfect, screamed the other part.
     You don't know who he is!
     Oh who cares? I could stare at him all my life and not get tired.
     A mental war was going on inside me.

     My skin burned where he held me, though his hands were cool.

     Calm down girl, I screamed mentally at myself.

     "Ahem", he cleared his throat. "Are you alright, lady?", he asked in a soft husky voice, a voice I felt I knew all my life, but I couldn't decipher it.

     "Eva", I blurted out.

     "Uh...", he searched my face, confused.

     My cheeks burned with embarrassment. "I'm Eva", I said in a small voice. Damn! He'll think I'm a creep who was checking him out, or even a lunatic for running crazily. I wanted to die. Meanwhile, I forgot all my worries about escaping Xander, the forest around me. Just the guy with the amber eyes existed, and I had no idea who he was.

     His lips curled up in a smile, a bit crooked one and my heart started doing somersaults. I had no idea what was wrong with me, either.

     "I see, Eva", he said. My name never sounded any better. "Are you alright? You were running like a lunatic."
     Ugh! There it is...

     His smile turned into a smirk. I had no answer. Obviously I wasn't going to tell Mr. Handsome about my escape from hell and my so-called husband. And what would I say?
     "Oh that? I'm sorry I was escaping my blood drinking, murder vampire husband-to-be and I crashed into you. No worries. None at all."
     Obviously no. So I was silent and my legs hurt.

     "It's okay if you don't wanna say. I don't wanna invade your privacy", he said softly, his hands leaving my arms. I was standing upright just because he was holding me. And his sudden leave made my legs collapse and I fell down on my butt.
     Shit! Shit! SHIT! Where were the dinosaurs when you wanted them!?

     He chuckled, his eyes lightening in amusement and it increased my embarrassment.

     "Don't laugh", I murmured, looking down. But he didn't stop. His laugh was like bells ringing, harp playing, angelic and musical all at once.

     "Sorry Eva", he controlled his smile, still eyeing me with unknown amusement, and helped me up as he took my hand in his.

     "Thanks", I mumbled.

     "Ah", he said nonchalantly, "but Eva, you were running no where but deeper into the heart of the forest. Are you lost? Or did someone — thing — followed you and tried to hurt you?", he asked, turning serious.

     Hurt me? Yes... Xander. I nodded

     "Both", I answered at last. "I was running away from a murderer", I said in a low voice, "and I lost my path too."

     His jaw clenched a little but he recovered himself, becoming normal. "Oh, I see. But you are in a wrong path, girl. Only the predators live here", he said.

     "Vampires...", I said in a scared voice and he nodded, assuring me.

     "If you want... I can help, maybe", he said, a little shyly.

     "Help?", I looked up at him.

     He rubbed the back of his neck and smiled awkwardly. "Uh huh. Like you could, you know, stay at my place for the night. And I'll drop you off to your destination in the morning", he offered.

     Should I trust him? Should I go? But I didn't know him. But also, I had no other choice. Staying at his place sounded better than spending the night in the forest. He looked decent enough, not to mention hot and handsome.

      I nodded my head. "Thanks", I said and smiled. Goodbye, Xander!
     "So, where do you stay?"

     "Around here", he said. "There's no name for the place though, but it's not far. It's not my actual home, just a perfect hideaway."

     "A hideaway? In forest?", I asked in surprise. Who the hell stays in a forest?
Well he did...

     He chuckled and my ears were coming to love the sound of his voice, even though just met him.
     "Kinda", he said, "I come here when I wanna escape reality. I was out here because I love roaming the forest at night. It's so peaceful and calm." He inhaled deeply.

     "It's dangerous."

     "Not really", he mused. A light warm breeze was blowing, messing up my already messy hair and I remembered that I still looked like shit.

     "No you don't", he said, smirking at me.

     "Huh?", I asked, confused. Did I just say that out loud?

     "You said you look like shit. But you don't. You are beautiful, Eva", he answered, clearing my doubts.

     My cheeks felt hot again at his compliment. "Thanks, I guess."

     A stray strand of his raven hair fell on his left eye. I didn't notice before, but his hair looked like silk strands and I wanted to reach out and touch it.

     He pushed a hand through his hair, pushing it backwards. His hair was long and reached up to the middle of his neck.
     Sexy, I thought, looking at him. His smirk grew and I looked away.

     "How far is it?", I asked, trying to look nonchalant and change the subject to divert his attention from me. I tried not to care, to be ignore but, my legs were hurting like crazy. Perks of running around like a crazy person in the middle of the night.

     "A bit more", he said. "Should I carry you?", he asked and winked at me.

     My cheeks reddened. "Oh no. No! There's no need. I'm fine, really."

     "If you say so." He started humming.

     I took a long breathe and continued walking with him to God knows where.
      I just hope that I don't die today. I am too young for that!

     After like five minutes of walking through the forest in dark, avoiding bushes, skipping branches and bruising my knees,with exhaustion and ache, he finally said, "We're here!"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello peeps!
I'm back again. And I'm really sorry for the late update.
My phone broke and my exams are starting soon (T_T)

But I'll update one more bonus chapter today for making up my late update and excuses.. yeaaay! :)

Please vote and comment to keep me motivated. ;)

Lots of love
~Rose~