Chapter 28

"Oh, God. Eva?", I heard his voice, shaking me lightly. "Shit, you'll catch cold, for God's sake! What are you doing here on the cold hard floor?", Damon questioned me. His voice was hard.

I opened my eyes slowly, they were swollen and puffy. All the crying last night made my eyes sting. I remained silent, hearing his voice.

"Eva, I know you can hear me. Don't just keep lying here, get up", he ordered, shaking me again.

"Mm", I mumbled in protest. I was way too weak to speak out. My voice was hoarse.

"Damn it, girl", he cursed and leaned in towards me, but what he did next was unexpected. Damon looped his arm around my waist and another around my shoulder and picked me up in bridal style. "Eva", he taunted and looked into my eyes with a hard expression. His eyes were still cold as last night, icy orbs. I looked away to avoid his gaze and mumbled something that even I couldn't decipher.

He carried me to my room and placed me on my bed, putting my bedsheet around me.

"I wanted to actually talk to you, Eva. About something, but", he continued, "I guess that can wait. You are a mess, you look horrible and it's better for you to sleep now. I'll come back when you wake up, when you are in a better condition." He tucked me in bed properly and kissed my forehead softly, just the touch of his lips against my skin make me smile. It made me feel like even though he acted cold, he still actually cared.

"Damon", I tried to say his name, but it came out as a croak, and held on to his shirt, trying to stop him from leaving.

"No Eva, really. Sleep", he ordered and freed my grip from his shirt and looked at me. "I'll come back later." He switched off the light.

"Mm", I mumbled and averted my eyes from him, I could hear his footsteps leaving my room, fading slowly till all I heard was a soft click, signalling that he closed my door and left me alone, indeed again, to sleep.

I was tossing and turning in my bed, unable to sleep. Damon's behavior left me puzzled, one minute he was cold, the next, he was caring, then again cold.
What is up with him?, I questioned myself, but had no answer. Only he did, only he could answer that.
What is it that he wanted to talk to me about? Again a question with no answer. Why was he acting so strange? Did he really care, or is it just an act? Does he really hate me, or is it just an act too? I had no answer, none.

I took in a deep breath, unable to find any answers and my mind was blank, but my eyes were wide open.

"I'll be ready for anything and everything you say, Damon, just don't just give on me, not yet. Please don't make me go, if that's what you wanted to talk about", I whispered to myself and squeezed my eyes shut, tightly to stop any tears from leaking. I was done crying, I needed to be strong to face what he had to say. But, something told me, whatever he would say would be hard, really hard for me to do so.

"Just don't make me go", I mumbled to myself again and then dozed off to a dreamless sleep.

******

I woke up to the sound of a feet shuffling and fist bumping on the wall.

"Fuck! I don't know what to say", said a angry, and frustrated voice. I woke up quickly from the bed and wrapped a shawl around me, hurrying towards Damon's voice. I hid behind the door, scared, hearing.

"I'm fucking confused", he grumbled on the phone, talking to someone. "Hmm, yeah I know, I know, do you really think it's the right thing to do?", he questioned and paused. "Uh-huh", he said and cut the call, rubbing his fist.