Chapter 18

A bright light and warmth was coming through the curtains from the window, lighting up the room. I opened my eyes and yawned, checking the surroundings, like I always do.

I saw him sleeping beside me, with his head on the wooden headboard of the bed. He fell asleep while staying with me last night. I felt bad for troubling him so much.

"Damon", I said in a low voice, pronouncing his name. It felt foreign in my mouth and easily rolled off my tongue. I looked at him again, noticing his features. His skin looked soft and smooth and a light stubble was forming. His hair was sticking out and covered his forehead.

Without even a second thought, I brushed them off. Every strand of his hair felt like silk against my fingers. His amber eyes cracked open suddenly and I immediately took my hand back, embarrassing myself again.

He smiled my favorite smile and got up to sit down properly, pushing back his hair with his hand. I was looking down, outside the window, at the floor, everywhere, but him. I could feel his eyes on me.

"Good morning, Eva", he said in a husky, deep morning voice. A familiar voice. I smiled widely.

"Good morning", I said, and bravely uttered his name. "Damon."

He grinned at me. "Mm.. That sounds so good. My name never sounded so good."

I giggled nervously. But then, I remembered that I had to leave today itself, and my smile faded. I won't ever see him again. And neither do I have a place to go to.

"Hey, what's wrong, Eva?", he asked.

Should I tell him? "No... Nothing", I replied at last.

"I can clearly see it's not nothing. It's something that's bothering you. You can share, you know? I'm a great secret keeper", he said and winked at me, cracking his smile.

I decided telling him. He already helped me so much, even stayed with me last night, sacrificing his sleep. He didn't even judge me, at least not out loud.

"It's that", I said, a little sadly, "I don't really have a place to go to. But, that's okay. You don't have to worry about that, I'll definitely find somewhere. You already helped me so much. I'm sorry for troubling you so much", I added quickly.

He laughed. "That's what you're worried about? Troubling me?", he asked.

I nodded. And, I'll never see you again, but, I didn't dare say that.

"Eva, you can stay here as long as you like. I don't mind at all. I like your company and I like helping you. I've stayed alone so long, it feels better with you here. Please don't take it otherwise though", he said and looked at me.

"Really?", I asked, now hopeful. Maybe I can really stay here.

He got up from the bed and stretched himself, then gave me a dazzling smile, nodding his head.

"Really."

******

The evening was a peaceful one. I could hear dishes clinking in the kitchen, as I stood near the window, enjoying the air. It was warm, damp and smelled earthly, but it was fine.

I was fantasizing about amber eyes and raven hair, thinking of Damon, to be honest. How could he be so perfect, so flawless? Thinking of him shirtless, I felt my cheeks burning again and I took a long breathe and patted my cheeks.

"Damon", I whispered. The name was like a secret spell, a mysterious one. Who was he, I asked myself. The only thing I knew about him was his name.

I closed my eyes, letting the breeze mess up my wavy hair.

"Eva..."

I heard a whisper. I opened my eyes, and looked around. No one was around. I think I just imagined it.

"Eva", I heard again, cleared. I knew that voice so well.
Xander...

"Yes, darling. It's me", he whispered in a dangerously low voice. I looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of him, but he wasn't there.

"It's useless, my love. I'm not there. I'm in your head. Did you forget our bond? Aww, now that's sad", he faked sadness in his voice and chuckled darkly.

Shit!

"What do you want, Xander?", I asked him in my head.

"You, Eva. I've already said this before. I just want you. I'm ready to even kill people and destroy lives if that gives me you. Don't think you escaped me, dear. You can't. I'll find you soon and get you back", he replied. "I promise."

I was left with no words. I was scared. Oh, no...

"Yes, my love. I will. Soon. Till then, farewell", said Xander and his voice vanished just as fast as it appeared.

"Xander?", I called out in my head.
No reply...

His face from my nightmare flashed in front of my eyes once more. His pitch black hollow eyes. Just darkness, like two black holes, as he laughed at me, enjoying my helplessness.

"Oh, no", I murmured as I sat down on the floor. "Oh, no. He'll come back. He'll find me. He'll kill Damon to get me back..." I put my head in between my hands. I was wearing Damon's shirt and the sleeves were too long and they got wet with my tears.

"No. I can't cry. I won't. I have to be strong. I won't let Mia die for nothing. He probably killed her already."

I was talking to myself. And, the thoughts of Mia gone made my insides feel hollow, but I collected myself somehow and took long breathes, slowly standing up.

I could hear Damon's footsteps down the hall. He was humming something. It sounded like a song.

If I get caught, I thought, I can't let Damon to get included in my mess too. I needed help, but fucking his life up, when he only helped me out, wasn't my intention.

"I can't tell Damon, never", I whispered softly.

"Tell me what, Eva", he asked suspiciously, his eyes were darkening with an unknown expression.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hey!!!!!
How are you doing guys? XD
Feel free to answer your opinions here.

Vote and comments if your liked the chapter ;)

Lots of love dearies...
~Rose~