[1] not a good start

"Can't do, Miss. Sorry, but this bus doesn't head past that area."

I sighed in frustration and clicked my tongue.

"Is there another bus that will?"

He nodded. "What time?"

"20 past 8."

No way! That was too late - I had until a quarter to 8 to travel to the other side of Sydney and get to the Hilton Hotel in time for checking in. For my first day on the job, it definitely wasn't off to a good start.

I turned away from the bus without thanking the driver and hobbled off down the busy street. There were early-morning commuters and business people everywhere and I weaved in and out of the crowd, jostling from side to side. My stupid high heels weren't making anything better. The hotel uniform strictly forbade anything comfortable or sensible - the tight skirt I was wearing was cutting off all circulation to my lower legs.

I gave up on the busy sidewalk and pushed to the edge, hailing a taxi. It pulled up and I threw myself onto the backseat, trying not to give the driver any time to look at what I was wearing.

"464 Dearner Street, please. As fast as you can."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Excuse me Ma'am?"

The taxi driver tentatively leant over his seat and spoke, his voice sympathetic.

"I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of traffic. I'm not sure how long we'll be stuck here, but--"

"It's okay, I'll just walk. Thanks, here, keep the change." Ignoring his surprised expression, I pressed a $20 note into his palm and gathered my things.

For the past 20 minutes, the taxi had been moving down the same street at a snail's pace, and I was well-aware of the time now. What the heck, I was going to be late anyway.

Leaving the stunned taxi driver, I jumped out and dashed off the road... crashing straight into a mob of girls. And I really thought the morning could get no worse.

I tried to right myself and had to ungracefully grab a pole to steady my wobbling heels. Unfortunately the skirt wasn't really helping me balance, and I knocked one of the girls sideways.

"Oh my gosh - are you okay? Sorry."

She looked at me in distaste, before brushing off her jacket and flicking her blonde hair back over her shoulder.

"Jesus. Watch where you're going." She smelt of perfume and was chewing constantly on a piece of gum. "You almost made me rip my coat."

Blondie blew a large pink bubble and popped it in my face. Then she looked at what I was wearing and choked.

"Woah - who dressed you? Oi Chlo, come look at this chick!"

The rest of her mates came walking back to gawk at me and I began to feel like I was on display at some boring history museum or something.

"Oooh, look who's here to ruin my chances!" The one called Chloe leered at me and her friends laughed.

My voice came back then, thank god.

"What are you talking about? These are my work clothes."

I shook my head, attempting to wave back my hair, but then I remembered it was up in a tight bun. So my head just kind of shook - really intimidating.

"Work clothes, huh? Nice try. As if you don't know what we're talking about anyway. Who doesn't know?" Blondie, of course, had to add her part.