[26] a game of questions

I didn't even have any time to prepare. The moment I'd clicked off my phone screen, I heard footsteps outside the door and suddenly Ashton was in the frame, looking at me with a cautious smile on his face. When he started to venture further into the living room, everyone but me looked up at him. Luke defensively moved a little closer, as if Ashton was going to fling himself at me, and Calum coughed loudly.

'Hey mate. How was your sleep?'

Ashton paused, turning his phone over and over in his hands. He gave a non-committed shrug and tried a proper smile.

'Yeah. I'm wide awake now though,' he moved closer to me and held out a hand, 'Emma? Come for a walk with me?'

I had this insane urge to giggle as Calum, Michael and Luke simultaneously dropped their jaws. Ashton was looking down at me, a nervous smile on his face that gave me jitters deep in my stomach. His eyes were a little red around the edges and I wondered if he'd been crying. Reaching out, I linked my hand with his.

'Sure.'

I let Ashton pull me up, keeping my hand intertwined with his. Calum snorted, and I kicked his shin on my way past.

'Don't forget the plan!'

Michael sent me a few exaggerated winks and I blushed deeply as Ashton gave me a curious look. I shook my head and Luke grinned.

'Looks like she's doing fine on her own.'

'Geeeeetttt in!'

'Oh my god, stop being disgusting you immature pig-headed asshats! You're just mad because you're not getting laid!'

'And we are, are we?'

Ashton curled a little piece of my hair around his pinkie and grinned at me, and I groaned. I grabbed his arm and tugged him out of the room, ignoring Calum, who was sticking his right finger through his left thumb and index finger, and Luke and Michael who were howling with laughter on the floor.

Seriously. They might be almost 20, but they act like freaking 6 year olds.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

'Well, well, well! What do we have here then?'

The moment Ashton and I stepped out of the elevator, a loud voice came booming from the receptionist counter, and we both jumped. Ashton pulled his hoodie over his head further and tugged down his bandana, as if he could disguise his curls. I stood frozen next to him, hoping it wasn't Olivia. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I groaned on the inside.

'Look, I'm sorry, but-'

'Didn't I tell you that it would work out?'

Ciara beamed at me, hands clasped together. I swallowed, and snuck a quick glance at Ashton, who was sheepishly looking at his shoes, like a child caught with his hand in a cookie jar. At least it wasn't Olivia, but this might even be worse.

'See, I told you Em! I knew that Ashton wou-'

'CIARA!'

She stopped, mouth open, and stared at Ashton.

'I'm sorry, but Emma and I need to go somewhere, okay? We can talk later.'

Ashton grabbed my arm and spun me around, pulling me against his chest and walking me to the door. I looked up at him frowning.

'Why'd you do that? She's going to annoy the hell out of me later.'

'What about?'

He smiled down at me and I blinked.