[12] 'did my little baby brother get himself drunk again?'

‘And this is a song dedicated to my baby brother, who’s out there watching tonight. Despite being a little shit for half the time, he’s inspired me to chase this dream. Without him and the other boys from 5 Seconds of Summer, I might not have had the support I do today - so thankyou, Calum. I love you lots, okay? No matter how many times I tell you to stop being annoying. You look after him for me, Emma.’

Mali-Koa Hood, Calum’s older sister, laughed as she shaded her eyes and stared up through the bright stage lights at our seating box. She grinned at us all, giving me a little wink, before picking up her guitar and brushing her perfect brown hair over her shoulders.

‘Different places, different faces,

Colours, sparks of new,

It’s a change, a rearrange,

But I’m still missing you’

‘Calum?’ I whispered, reaching across the seat for him in the dark. Suddenly, he was there, holding onto my hand.

‘Emma.’

I sighed, as Mali’s voice burst sweetly into the chorus.

‘Thankyou. For bringing me here tonight. This is the happiest I’ve been in a long time, and I love this.’

I could feel his breath on my cheek, and I was glad it was dark, because I knew I was blushing.

‘No, Emma, thankyou. Not only for coming with me and Michael, and supporting my sister, but for everything. Do you know how happy you make Ashton?’

I gulped.

‘No,’ I whispered.

Calum let go of my hand, but I could still feel him next to me.

‘This summer is Ashton’s chance to enjoy himself, and to enjoy his life. He’s been getting a bit sick, keeping up with everything, being the perfect image, when he really wants to just be a teenager. He misses that freedom, and you’re his perfect getaway. So thankyou, really, for making my bestfriend the happiest he’s been for ages.’

Calum kissed my cheek and leaned back, leaving me alone to my thoughts.

Meanwhile, Mali sang on below us.

‘How can I find my spot,

In a world that keeps on turning,

Where love doesn’t exist,

Yet that fire keeps on burning,

I’m out of touch,

Out of time,

Out of all the things that matter,

I’ve lost your spark,

I’m in the dark,

But somehow,

I know I’ll make it back home to you.’

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

‘You think I’d get drunk at my own sister’s concert? Hah! I have self-control, Ashton Irwin! Wait and see! Just wait and see.’

Well, as it turned out, by the end of the night, Calum wasn’t as self-controlled as he had promised Ashton.

‘Emmmmmmm-mmmmma!’ Calum stumbled towards me, waving one hand through the air and almost taking off some guy’s head. I giggled as he reached me.