I Can't Help What I've Become

I wake up. My eyes feel like they’ve been glued shut for the past five months. I start to scream when I realize where I am. It’s pitch black. A nurse sprints into my room. She has on pink scrubs and she has long brown hair put up in a ponytail.

“You’re awake?!” She said sounding extremely surprised.

“Why do you sound surprised?” I force the words out of my mouth but it hurts my stomach. “Oh god! Ow!”

“Shh. Don’t talk. I’ll explain.” The nurse started to calm me down. “You have been here for the past three weeks. You were visiting a friend and you collapsed. We noticed that your lungs were failing. You must have gotten into an accident of some sort. We went directly into surgery but something went wrong and you’ve been out ever since. The doctors didn’t think you were ever going to wake up.”

I looked around and saw all of the flowers. About half of them were dead. I also saw balloons that said ‘get well’ but a lot of them were losing air.

“Where is my family?” I asked almost whispering.

“It’s 3 in the morning so they’re most likely sleeping. You’ve had numerous visitors over the past weeks. I’ll call and let your family know you’re awake.” The nurse left the room. I stared at the white walls of my hospital room.

“They thought I was going to die.” I told myself. I fell back asleep.

I woke up later that morning. My entire family was in my hospital. I could see Emmet, Elaine, and Luke through the room window waiting until it was their turn to come in. I had a lot more energy than I did early that morning.

“Lina, my baby!” My mom held my head in her arms.

“How are you feeling, Lina?” My dad asked.

“I’m feeling alright.” I replied.

Everyone asked me about what happened. I told them I got into a biking accident. No one asked or told me about Brooks. He must not have cared to hear about how I was.

It was time for my friends to come and talk to me.

“Hey guys.” I said as they walked in.

“We’re so thankful you woke up, Lina.” Elaine said. She came close and whispered in my ear, “guess who finally asked me out!” I smiled. I was happy she was with Luke.

“What did you do when I collapsed, Luke?” I asked him.

“I called the nurse and from there I couldn’t do much else! I was so worried.” He replied.