Chapter 3: Maria Reynolds Protection Squad

Third Person POV

"I feel like trash!" Alex groaned, massaging his head.

"You are trash," John muttered.

"What?" Alex turned.

"Nothing..."

"Advil?" John added, trying to ease the tension that he was sure only he felt.

"Gah, why did I agree to drinking on a school night?" Alex moaned, swallowing two pills in quick succession.

John watched his face intently. "Do you, uh, remember anything from last night?"

"Ugh, barely, why what happened?" Alex stared into John.

"Nothing at all!" John told him, immediately feeling bad about his lie. One of the first rules in their unwritten friend book was not to lie.

"Hey, did I kiss Eliza?" Alex's eyes lit up, looking psyched at the thought.

"I don't remember. Lot's to drink," John said flatly, lying again.

"Oh, well I'll ask her, and Angelica!" Alex said. (

"Uh, don't ask Angie!" John quickly exclaimed.

"Uh, why?" Alex laughed awkwardly.

"She had so much to drink last night, she probably has a massive hangover, wouldn't mess with her, ya know?" John tried to play it off.

"How would you know? Were you with her?" Alex raised his eyebrows.

John blushed bright red. "What? No!"

"Do you remember anything?" Alex moved closer to him, staring speculatively.

John's breath caught in his throat. They were too close.

"I, uhh... " He trailed off, staring at Alex's lips.

He finally sealed the lie, feeling a pang of selfish guilt as he did.

"I don't remember a thing."

But he did remember. He remembered telling Angelica too much. And her response?

"Me too!"

"Me too!"

Angelica's POV

"Good morning time to start the day!" Peggy barged into the sisters' room.

Eliza groaned. " How drunk was I last night?"

"Like on a scale of one to ten?" Peggy asked. "You were a solid fifty."

Eliza fell back into her bed and swallowed the Advil Peggy carried in her purse.

"Hey, Angie, are you okay?" Peggy peered into her oldest sister's bed. It was empty.

"OMIGOD DID I LEAVE ANGIE BEHIND SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT." Eliza shot up in her bed immediately.

"Relax girls I'm here in the bathroom." Angelica stepped out looking like she didn't have twenty shots with a guy she just met.

"Woah Ange, you clean up good," Peggy looked her sister up and down.

In reality, Angelica was not okay, not at all. She hated it all, herself, her life, everything. No wonder she was never her father's favorite, no wonder he couldn't love he-

"ANGIE! You with us?" Eliza looked at her sister worridly.

"Yeah, I'm just trying to remember what happened last night," Angelica looked down. "What do you remember Eliza?"