Chapter 4: The Kid - I Mean, Turtle, Angel Schuyler-Laurens

John watched Angie walk away and he ran after her, wondering where he went wrong.

"Angie please - "

"Don't call me that!" Angelica turned around. "What do you want from me?!"

The rest of the group stared at them.

"Homework!" John exclaimed, while Angelica said, "Babysitting!"

"Babysitting, of course. We need to go. Together." John corrected himself, blushing.

"Babysitting what?" Alex asked, tilting his head slightly.

"My pet turtle!" John yelped. 

"You don't have one!" Alex laughed, his eyebrows raised. "Face it, you just want to be alone with-"

"Actually, I'm buying John a turtle from the downtown pet store for being such a good drinking buddy last night," Angelica lied, smoothly.

"Really?" Eliza whistled. "Good gift! Especially for John."

"Daddy won't like it though," Peggy looked worried.

"Daddy doesn't need to know," Angelica winked.

"Daddy said not to go to the downtown!" Peggy complained.

"Like I said, we're grown-ups, we're free to go," Angelica was tired of these complaints from Daddy's little princess

"John, let's go," Angelica said, exasperatedly.

As they walked away, John leaned in close to her ear. "Wait, are you actually going to buy me a turtle?" He asked, looking excited.

"Why not? I have all the money in the world and I don't care where it goes," Angelica smiled.

John started to walk faster.

oOo

"I like this one. But that one's shell is prettier. Hmmm." John seemed to have completely forgotten about last night. "I can't choose!"
"I think you should get the one with a better, er, personality," Angie suggested, awkwardly wondering why he was being so... picky over, uh, turtles.

"This one!" John declared, petting it's head.

"Name?" Angelica giggled as John cooed to the turtle.

Wait, what? Angelica never, ever, giggled.

"Uh, how about Angel?" He suggested sheepishly.

"Angel?" Angie started to blush.

"I could name it, uh... Jelica?" John told her, trying not to turn bright red. "Not that it has anything to do with you, of course."
"Of course," Angelica nodded, trying to act serious.

"We'll take this one!" Angelica called, pointing at Angel.

"That'll be hundred dollars and fifty cents," the clerk told Angelica. She started to pull out a credit card.

"Wait, that's too much Angie," John looked at the price. "I can't ask you to pay that for me."

"Oh, shut up, John," Angelica handed over her credit card. "I barely use this thing."

John looked guilty, but still cradled Angel in his arms.

"And the name of the turtle?" The clerk asked, ready to engrave it on a small turtle collar.

"Angel Schuyler-Laurens," John blurted out, flashing Angie a nervous smile. The clerk started to put it on the collar.

Angelica stared at him in shock. He basically named their kid! Well, a turtle, but that was probably what their kid's name would be like. Not that they'd have a kid... Angie, you're getting ahead of yourself.