Chapter 10) Firm Friends Already

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Peso's POV: I had gotten a blood sample from everyone now, as well as retrieved some chemicals from Shellington's lab, the ones I needed for the test. Kate had offered me her help, but I told her I didn't need it. I told her not to worry about me.

On the other hand, I recalled what I had seen. The emptiness of Windfell, the silence on the island. The place was simply shrouded in sickness. It was all too familiar.

Too familiar...

*flashback*

Nine year-old Peso's colony was shrouded with sickness, a deadly one. The young medical prodigy did his best to help all of the sick penguins, as well as trying to prevent others from getting sick as well. All of his family was doing what they could to help.

If they weren't sick themselves.

The young penguin stood over his father, Peter, a well liked and kind doctor. He was very ill, but still smiling. Still trying to be strong. But both of them knew the truth. Peso and the rest of his family had to leave. And his father would have to be left behind. He was simply too sick to travel.

The Penguin family had to move to a new place to survive. Peso had to leave his colony, his home that had been taken over by death. But more importantly, he had to leave his father to die.

*end flashback*

I found myself sobbing, reliving the last time I saw my father: pale and choking on his sickbed as so many others had been. Reliving the horrible virus that had killed so many. I had done all I could to help, but I couldn't save my father. The Island of Fear had forced me to face death. I had seen Kate die. And there was nothing I could do.

Why is it so often that fear is based on bad memories?

Kate came in then. She stopped in the doorway, taking in the scene. Her boyfriend crying his heart out. She pulled me into a swift embrace, kissing my forehead as I cried helplessly. She didn't ask what was wrong. She was simply there to help. And I loved that about her.

isobeljones2000

Selene's POV: After Peso had quietly taken our blood samples the Captain and I excused ourselves from the medical room to go and find my son. It felt like I hadn't held him in my arms for a long time, although it had only been a few days.

We found Derek toddling down the corridor at high speed with two of the younger Vegimals on his tail, trying in vain to catch up with the speeding child. With a laugh I swung him up off the floor as he toppled towards me, nearly crashing into Barnacles' legs. "What are you doing, trouble?"

Derek gurgled happily. "Mama! Papa!"

I sent Barnacles a fond look, before cuddling my son tightly. God, I had missed him. "Have you been learning to walk?"

Derek giggled somewhat devilishly, not supplying a clear answer.

Just then Elena walked down the corridor, with the young girl on her hip. Olivia, I remembered she was called; she looked only a few months younger than Derek. She was pretty, with her wide brown eyes and short greyish brown hair tied back in a stubbly ponytail. She looked a lot like her mother, who was at this moment smiling at me kindly.

"Hello again Selene. I see I'm not the only one with a little one around here."

I smiled back. "Yes, this is Derek. Looks like he's around the same age as Olivia."

Derek, hearing his name and seeing the similiarly aged toddler, immediately clamoured to be put down, which I did knowing his intentions. "I think Derek's pleased to have another playmate. He's been on his own for a while, though he enjoys playing with the Vegimals."

Elena placed Olivia on the floor, who immediately started determinedly crawling towards the Octo Chute. Derek obviously had the same idea and followed her on his chubby little legs with what resembled a cackle of excitement.

Elena quickly picked the girl up and moved her away. "Oh no sweetie, not that way. Say hello to Derek."

The girl blinked shyly at the wolf. "Hewo, Dewek."

Derek promptly sat down next to her and began gurgling away, which Olivia seemed to understand perfectly.

"Looks like these two are going to be firm friends," Barnacles chuckled.

I smiled at Elena, who I knew I was automatically going to like. "Derek has some toys in my room, if Olivia would like to play with them? I can go and get them now."

Elena nodded gratefully. "Oh yes, that would be great. Livvy hasn't really had chance to play properly with someone her own age for a while, since the whole business with -" She faltered slightly as the memories evidently rushed back to her. I knew exactly how she felt, so I quickly diverted her attention.

"Let's go and get those toys. I'm sure these two will have great fun together."

Elena smiled widely. "I'm sure they will."

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Shellington's POV: I let out the emotions I had been holding back as soon as Peso got what he needed from the lab. Burying my face into my pillow, I sobbed my heart out. Dani had gotten Dashi abducted by those freaks!

A bunch of "what if's" ran through my head. What if we couldn't find her? What if we ran out of time to bring her back? What if they killed her before we could reach her?

I knew better than to dwell on the worries. I also knew why we had stopped back here. It would do no good to knowingly risk encountering... them unprepared.

But I also knew that every second we spent preparing was another second we wasted not taking action. And every second not taking action, Dashi got farther and farther out of reach.

I wasn't going to lose her permenantly.

I grabbed my satchel and dumped a few fish biscuits into it, along with a bottle of water, a flashlight, a blanket, and other supplies. I slung it over my shoulder, and quietly went to an empty Launch Bay.

I knew myself well enough to know better than to take a Gup. I was a horrible driver. Besides, the others could track me using the Gup Finder. And it helped that I was an aquatic mammal. I was made for swimming.

Dashi was in trouble because Dani had run away. Now, I was going after her. I could probably pick something up to defend myself with on Windfell. While I was aware that it wasn't smart, I was also aware that I couldn't waste time. Time wasn't on our side.

And I was going to find Dashi. I was going to help her. And if that meant helping Dani, so be it. Because, quite frankly, Dashi was the only one who was important to me right now.

With that thought. I left the Octopod, and swam for Windfell.

isobeljones2000

Tunip's POV: I couldn't help but smile at the sight of the two toddlers playing animatedly together in the Leisure Pod, moving small trucks around over the floor giggling lightly. Olivia was lisping in her soft voice while Derek was just seeming to understand what she said. I knew it had been a while since Derek had been able to play with someone his own age, so it was good for him to make friends. I also knew Codish and Barrot were very relieved at not having to monitor them 24/7 and chase Derek around the Octopod every time he ran off.

Eelean wasn't with me at the moment; I remembered that she had wanted to speak to Kate about their pairing, though whether she'd have the courage to I wasn't sure. I was too engrossed in watching Selene talk to Elena. It was very strange, having a connection. Just being near her felt right. It wasn't quite as strong as the link I had with Shellington, but right now I wasn't picking up many of his feelings. Maybe that meant he had calmed down a little, or gone to sleep. I hoped both of these circumstances were true, and I decided to leave Shellington be for now. If he was sleeping it off I didn't want to wake him. He deserved some peace for once.